Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Jes Made Me Do It!

Okay, blogosphere, I am here. After much prodding from several friends, I'm actually going to start posting. I make no promises about quality of content around this part of the blogging 'hood. I like to think that I am charming, witty, and intelligent enough to have scintillating conversations, but I have never been a creative writer. Would you like a fabulously informative, but concise lab report? A position paper or compare/contrast ala English comp 101? Well, then I'd be your girl. But, this. This looming white screen with a blinking cursor that would allow me to convey the insanity that resides in my brain to the world at large? Too daunting. But, today is different. Today Candi made me cry. And so this first post will be about one of her favorite subjects...


Who the hell did Consumer Reports get to be their coffee testers?????

I know that I can be a bit of a food and drink snob. I'm not always proud of this fact. So, last week when there was the news blitz about McDonald's coffee being rated higher than both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts I thought, "yeah, right!" However, I was intrigued. Was I just being a snob again? I needed to conduct a little experiment. It was bitterly cold here yesterday (for Texas anyway!),and I hit the MickeeDees drive-thru (with an open mind!) for an afternoon pick-me-up on the way to pick up the boys from school. I order my coffee. My total is a mere $1.07. Point to McDonald's. Great coffee for a buck? Fabulous! Then, at the pick-up window, the dream dies. First of all, I am afraid that the people behind me in line are going to shoot me for holding up the line as the nice lady keeps showing me my cup (before adding the coffee), after adding cream bit by bit, to see if it is an amount to my liking. Then we play the same game with some splenda. You know what? At Starbucks I can just order whatever I want and they know how to make it. period. I finally make it back out onto the street with my highly rated cheap coffee. I'm going to savor its comforting deliciousness in my last moments of quiet before the van is filled with post-school chatter. Holy Crap! I almost spit it out! That was the funkiest cup of coffee I have ever tasted. So, I am left with the question WHO were these taste testers? People from the taste bud transplant waiting list?

If you have functioning taste buds and live in Cowtown, might I recommend Eurotazza which actually is as good as/better than Starbucks?

9 comments:

el-e-e said...

You did it! Welcome to the... Nuthouse! McD's coffe, huh? I DOUBT IT. :)

Your links have one too many https but otherwise, an A+!

MaryB said...

Okay, I think I fixed the links. Let me know. Also, I'm going to need some tech help with adding some pictures and such. Want to be my tech support?

el-e-e said...

HAHAHAHA! Oh, that is FUNNY. Me. Tech Support. *wipes eyes*

(but yeah, sure)

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Yeah! You're posting!! Welcome to the blogosphere. All ramblings gratefully accepted.

I can't imagine coffee at McD's being anything but "hot, please use caution." I find that local coffee shops usually have the best stuff, but Starbucks is always consistent.

Paige said...

HOLY CRAP!!! LOOK WHO'S HERE! :)

What a great surprise. Everyone lift up her margarita and CHEERS MB!!!

Smooches.

Paige said...

OHMYGOD!!!

Are we twins?! I just realized why we get along...

Leo's - check
Fave movie - Breakfast at Tiffany's - check
Fave book - To Kill A Mockingbird - check
32 years old - check (cough, cough...choke!)

:)

Hehehe. Welcome.

MaryB said...

Yes, margaritas please! My writing would probably be better after a few.

Thanks all for stopping by :)

Paige - we could really be twins if I could take photos like yours! Oh, and we may have a little OCD in common too. I'll send you a picture of the inside of my fridge. It is the neighborhood joke around here. (It reminds me of your pantry)

Annie - I love the Starbucks, but I agree about the local shops. The one I linked to does carside call-ahead service and you just run a tab! I LOVE it! You think McD's is cautioning you so that you won't sue them, but really they are just trying to keep you reminded of the hotness so that you don't notice how bad it tastes.

El-e-e - All my boys going skiing this weekend. I will have time to soak up all your blogging-techno-knowledge! Tell hubs to turn on a video game and keep your phone at the ready! Oh, and set aside some extra patience, I am completely stupid about such!

Candi said...

YAY!!! I'm so happy!

And a pic, too!

WELCOME TO BLOGDOM :)

el-e-e said...

Um, HELLO... you got 8 comments on your first post?! You're already a star! I'm around tonight for Geek-Talk! Yay!

Oh, and can I have a margarita?