Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I Win. Where Is My Trophy?

In my never-ending quest to retain my title as Mother of the Year...

My eldest offspring split his knee wide open on Monday. It was pretty awful. I will spare you the details. Those of you who were present at Grant's unfortunate, poolside, chin-meets-top-of-brother's-head incident last summer..well, it wasn't quite that bad, but similar. It probably needed stitches. However, it was Presidents' Day and I had two extra 12-year old boys here from a sleepover. I just did not want to deal with getting them all delivered home (their parents were at work), sit in an ER waiting room, and it was his knee not his face. He is a boy. Knee scars are cool, right? So, some liquid band-aid (human super glue) and 3 butterflies later I was quite pleased with my medical handi-work. To keep the wound from pulling open, I even kept his knee from bending with a make-shift splint made with paint stir-sticks and an ace bandage wrap. Okay, Okay, Rich helped. He is pretty handy with that first-aid stuff.

Apparently watching ER and Grey's Anatomy for years and years does not make up for missing med school. It is still not completely better. And he has missed two days of school because I didn't want him hobbling around or bending his knee. Shoulda just got the damn stitches. I seriously might be the most selfish mother on the planet.

Whoever is in possession of the Mother of the Year trophy...please polish it up and send it right over!

My only redemption is that I have dragged myself and Connor to school a few minutes early each day to collect Jamie's teacher's lesson plans for the day and home-schooled the "crippled" boy on my comfy couch. that is redeeming, right?

1 comment:

el-e-e said...

Poor J!! You didn't want to go to the ER... you were PROTECTING him from all those germs and stuff. Yeah, that's it.