Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Time to return to my normal life

Well, I survived. The festival is over and I'm still standing. Of course, the festival was on Saturday and Connor's biography book report, complete with paper bag puppet, was due Monday. So, we went from festival crazy into book report and puppet making....it never seems to end. I think that is because I jinxed myself earlier this year when I mentioned to someone that this year was much easier than I expected it to be. Jamie's 3-D book report project is due the next Monday. Then we are full into History Fair and Science Fair. For the love of Pete, WHY do we have to do the History and Science fairs????

At any rate, the Festival was a success. All the kids and families had a blast. We made money. There were only several minor crises to deal with.

And, since this blog is called A Yankee's Guide to Texas...let me just inform you about Texas men. (apologies to the few who are evolved enough to consider a person without an extra appendage intelligent) I have never encountered chauvinism anywhere I have lived like I did this past weekend at the festival. I actually had to pull my "navy wife" card out and say, "hey you bunch of num-nuts! I am more self sufficient than the lot of you are. Oh, and did I mention I have a brain? A rather smart one if I say so myself. And, if I ask you a freaking question, it is probably because I need and answer, not because I am trying to annoy you with idle chit-chat!" And, if I tell you that the generator you plan to connect to my 65 ft obstacle course will not supply sufficient power, maybe you should listen to me. Cuz you know what? When you ignore me and blow me off as some silly girl who knows nothing of amps and volts we all end up looking like idiots when the party rental company can't blow up the thing at 720am! Did you notice that I was right there next to you throwing hay bails and hammering nails? Seriously, I think some of these idiots still carry around smelling salts and hankies for dainty and fragile members of the fairer sex. Next year, I will know better how to deal with the Dad's mafia. Regular southern methods do not work here, I'll have to devise new methods to conquer the Texas men.

The kids had fun trick-or-treating. Grant was Thomas - again. Connor was a fighter pilot. Jamie was my candy passer outer. I am a wretched horrible mother and did not take a single picture. I'm tellin' ya, it is all I could do just to get homework done, dinner fed, and costumes on - no time for cameras. But, now, I must go to dig through all the candy to find any and all Milky Way Midnights !

Happy Halloween to you and yours. And, if you are not lame like me then I look forward to seeing pictures of all your ghosts and goblins.

2 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Evidently, you need to get all New York on them. They won't like you as much, but they will listen. Maybe you could laminate a copy of your degree and wear it around your neck?

Has Jamie outgrow trick or treating already? That makes me sad. And old.

Anything is Possible said...

Two songs came to mind after reading just the first sentence! I will survive and I'm still standing. I'm dancing a little jig right now.
As my mom says, "men are idiots". She's misjudged by doctors quite often who then have to call her to find out how to work their $90,000+ machines. Ha. When will they shut up and just listen to us? -This does not apply to my husband who ALWAYS listens to me. Yeah right!
Jamie is old enough to be the passer outer? I can't believe it. How old is he now? He'll always be the little boy taking off his socks and throwing them at me in your van while we barreled down little Japanese roads.