Saturday, March 17, 2007

Good Times

Lots of busy around here. All good busy thankfully. Rich finished his probationary check-ride on Wednesday. Yay!!!! For those of you unfamiliar...your first year at an airline you are considered to be probationary. If you sneeze wrong or have a bad attitude or whatever, they can get rid of you and you can't even get help from the union. Sounds more dramatic than it really is, but anyway, that first year check-ride is a big deal. He (we) are all done now. You gals who were with your hubs through flight school know that the "we" means that I can now spout off countless limitations and procedures for a 737. Useful info for a stay-at-home mom that HATES to fly, dontcha think?

Given that the boys' reports cards were fabulous (in my opinion anyway, but that would be a whole 'nother post), Rich's check-ride was over, and the weather was gorgeous in NM Rich took the big boys to Santa Fe to ski. They are apparently having a great time. I was a little worried that Con might get frustrated being that he has never been skiing before while Jamie started back in Japan. Nope. Rich reported that after 1/2 a day Con was on par with Jamie and was off the greens and ripping up the blues. Far better than his mom could do!

Meanwhile, Susan was house-hunting up in Enid. Ultimately she bought the cutest house you've ever seen if you are a sucker for old houses like me. Then, it worked out that she and D drove down Thursday night for an overnight before heading their separate ways Friday. It was so so so great ! I cooked all day with Grant and got the guest room ready. It makes me think I'd really enjoy having a B&B one day. I put some Pinot Gris in the fridge. Central Market had some yummy looking jalapeno and pecan stuffed pork chops. So I created a honey and white wine reduction to whisk some chilled butter into to make a tasty savory/sweet sauce to complement the heat of the jalapenos. Some stuffed potatoes, and Susan's favorite "pink" spinach salad rounded out dinner. For dessert, I made tiramisu toffee pie. We ate and drank and laughed the night away! Stayed up way too late, but not too late to spoil my favorite couple with a blueberry raspberry coffee cake, eggs, maple roasted bacon, and blood red mimosas in the morning! Oh how I have missed hanging out with peeps who understand and appreciate my love of food and the kitchen!!!! Once they are only four hours away...my newly remodeled kitchen can be properly utilized all the time. :) Sorry for the ridiculous description of food created and consumed, but if you knew me for realz, you would know that food and cooking are a major love in my life. I tend to define and remember events by the food present.

Once the Lofs were on their way, Grant and I spent the day hanging out at he park swinging and blowing bubbles. Then we made a trip to the paint store so that I can intensify my ridiculous obsessing over paint colors for our kitchen and start helping (obsessing) about exterior colors for Susan's new adorable house. Nothing like a friend who meddles, but hey, she asked for my opinion. I don't want to give her a poorly researched opinion.

Unfortunately, spring break is winding up. Today, I need to make sure I get all of their uniforms ready to go. Time to switch back to summer uniforms. Spring break has made me sooooo ready for summer vacation to start! Just one more quarter and then it will be time to start packing and planning for Destin! I'm dreaming of it already....aaaahhh!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2 comments:

el-e-e said...

Congrats to R on the check-ride!! Hooray! And, tell him thx for the photos that made my heart smile. :) I'm sure the kids were like, "GREAT, some HOUSES." Heh.

MaryB said...

Your kids comment - so funny! You "get" kids really well. Although, I think they thought it was neat to see Hereford. I asked them if they smelled Hereford, bu they didn't get my joke.