Sunday, April 15, 2007

My House is Mine Again!

I think I am a pretty gracious hostess. I love to cook, nurture, entertain. The catch to that would be that I am somewhat of an introvert. One must be mindful here, that, by introvert I do not mean that I am shy or withdrawn or keep to myself. Apparently introvert and extrovert are more accurately defined by how you "recharge your batteries." You know, when you have had a crappy day and all you want to do is....well, extroverts want to get a group of girlfriends and head out dancing or to a party; introverts want to curl up in the quiet with some trashy tv or a good book. I am the latter. With a week of house guests and non-stop activity there were no batteries getting recharged. Now, though, I spent yesterday doing absolutely NOTHING. Seriously, nothing. Something I should have considered doing the day after surgery. More on that mental illness of mine some other time.

My nieces (and their parents of course) arrived Thursday night. We had dinner and then the kids got some time to play before we all tried to get to bed at a decent hour. The next morning we were all up bright and (too) early to caravan to Austin to see Nana (great grandmother). It was a thrill for her to have all of her great grandchildren in one place. She has never even met my youngest niece. Driving 3 hours each way with 6 kids in tow, though, took its toll on all the parents. So after a very late dinner we all crashed. Next day found me up early watching the SNOW fall. Um, hello...snow in Fort Worth in APRIL???? What the hiz-ell? while watching the snow fall I boiled 36 eggs and then headed out in the snow to finish my last-minute Easter dinner shopping. Then I rushed home to cook as much as possible before the girls arrived to dye eggs and head to the stockyards for dinner and the rodeo. The rodeo was a blast! I can't believe I'm saying that, but it was. Except for the last two riders in the bull riding...that was not fun. Not fun for them, and not fun for me to watch. WHY why why would anyone do that??? Scary dangerous business I tell ya. Easter was great. The only bad part was the beyond bizarre homily. other than that, it was a relaxing, fun day filled with egg hunts, yummy food, tennis, poker, and lots of candy and wine.

Monday was busy getting the kin folk to the the airport and the house as ready as possible for my parents since it was my last chance before surgery on Tuesday. Oh, and Monday means The Bachelor, An Officer and a Gentleman. What a crack up! All you military gals would laugh your heads off. I would love to be the commentator or host for this show. I have some great ideas for challenges for the bachelorettes! More on that every Tuesday from now on.

So, I survived surgery and anesthesia was not so bad. In fact, the best nap I've ever had. Felt better than I expected the day after. Should have taken it a little easier though, I think. Surgeon told Rich she thought it looked good and nothing to worry about, but will give us pathology on Wednesday when she checks my incision.

Nice visit with my parents. We ended up doing a lot of shopping because my mom got a call for an interview in DC (but no time to go home first) so she needed a full interview ensemble. Ann Taylor saved the day. And, my Dad turned the big 6-0 while here, and the kids had fun giving him a hard time about that. Oh, and my mom did all, yes ALL, of my laundry! thanks mom!

Time for life here to return to normal. Pictures coming soon.

1 comment:

el-e-e said...

So glad you're back online. :) (Selfish me)