Thursday, April 26, 2007


So, here is the only picture that looks remotely printable from Easter. Why is it that it is always so cold Easter morning that you can't wear the adorable dress you bought? Under that white cardigan is an adorable retro dress reminiscent of Donna Reed, but with cuter shoes.
I was going to try some clever segue with the Donna Reed description to my next thought. It isn't working. So let me just move on...
Check out that picture. Do you see a sign on my head? Does it say, "yes, I'm a right wing conservative and you should certainly talk to me about all of your prejudices and narrow views of family values!" I'll give you that we, on the outside, appear to be the quintessential traditional American family. Yes, my children go to Catholic school. Yes, I am lucky enough to be able to choose to be a stay at home mom. Yes, I am lucky enough to still be married to and in love with the first man I married. And, yes, I cook dinner most nights (certainly less than I used to though!) and think I have a pretty good handle on my kids. We even make it to Mass about 95% of the time. ( I seriously hope my dad the deacon isn't reading this!)
HOWEVER, I choose to live this way. This does not mean that I think everyone or anyone at all should choose to live like me. I am not a SAHM because I think it is what God wants me to do or because I think my children will be better people because of it. I do it because I am fulfilled by it and think I am pretty darn good at it. The fact that I believe in my Catholic faith does not mean that I think Catholicism or Christianity are the only right answers. Most of the time, I'm not sure that there are right answers. So, please, if you see me on the tennis courts or at he soccer field do not assume because of how I live my life on the surface that I am going to agree with your holier-than-thou, fox-news-watching, sometimes hate filled opinions on how right you are and how wrong anyone different than you is. In fact, you will likely find me shockingly open minded and then you will give me dirty looks and it will be uncomfortable for both of us. So, please, just ask me about the weather next time.

4 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

God, I just can't WAIT for Sam to be old enough for soccer games and bus stops! How do you keep from smacking people?

el-e-e said...

That photo is breathtakingly gorgeous (You)! And hel-lo? I thought Connor was Jamie at first glance. So big.

Paige said...

Hehe. Want to have coffee??

And adoring THAT photo! Snaps to you.

Anonymous said...

Can you get all of that put on a tee shirt so you don't have to keep explaining yourself? And can I have one?