Monday, September 10, 2007

Lost in translation...

that is unless you have me to help you out.

My dear, dear friend SusannaBanana very recently moved to the tiny town of Enid, OK. She has never lived in the region I now call home. She called me this afternoon to tell me about an invitation she found to be strange.

A very nice lady invited Susan and her husband to join a supper club she is starting. They exchanged some pleasantries about being thankful to be asked and how it is nice to make "native" friends in addition to military friends, blah, blah, blah....It was during this exchange that the supper club lady quietly mentioned, "and, by the way, we are all Catholic. Not that it matters, of course."

Susan was a bit taken aback by this somewhat odd comment and wondered if this was some kind of cultish, we-only-associate-with-other-Catholics discrimination. I had to explain to her that she now lives in Texas/Oklahoma land. I had to translate for her:

"we're all Catholic..."

translates to...

"We all drink. There will be wine with dinner, and all of our kids are allowed to read Harry Potter."

3 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I KNEW there was something I still liked about the Catholics...

Candi said...

I've been to Enid! And I spent a good bit of my time there in a Catholic way (aka drunk). :)

Paige said...

...and we celebrate Halloween with reckless abandon!

This made me LOL. You are a funny, funny girl.