Thursday, September 20, 2007

AAARRRGH!

How do you know when you are over your head and drowning in Fall Festival planning?

When you order quiche, strawberries romanoff, and pinot gris for lunch while still in your workout clothes.

As I brought my tray back to our table, my friend, Heidi, took one look at the carafe and glass on the tray and said, "Dear God! What have they done to you?"

She is fully aware that I barely even drink alcohol at night with dinner anymore, much less at lunch. Not even a fancy-schmancy girls' lunch - just lunch after the gym! She followed up with, "Did Rich leave you or something? OMG, its that damn Fall Festival isn't it?"

I stared at her blankly and silently, and then poured a glass from the lovely carafe.

Festivals should be banned! Or, if someone is your freaking co-chair, then they should at least check their email or call you once in a while! OR just tell me I don't have a co-chair so that I can just accept the fact that I am on my own.

The best advice I have gotten so far is to make sure I do a really crappy job so that noone ever asks me to do it ever again.

5 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Never, EVER do a good job or they will make you keep doing it. Even after you move. I'm STILL the president of the wives club. Seriously. Pass the wine.

el-e-e said...

Ugh. Just like stupid GROUP PROJECTS in college. I despised group projects because somehow I always got paired with the low-life who didn't do his part AT ALL.

Sorry, honey. Hope the vino helped!

Anonymous said...

What's a Fall Festival? Ask them that and they will probably find someone else to fill your shoes. Why didn't you say that in the first place?
I feel a little dejavu...I vaguely remember a similiar blog from a few months ago about volunteering too much. Yep, I found it - June 4th!!

Rach

Candi said...

Here is what I do - when the whole situation starts, you sit in the back and ask if you can write a check. I am so much happier to simply pay someone else to do it... How much is this worth you? :)

Anything is Possible said...

Candi has the right idea! That's exactly what I do with the Junior League, pay my way out of the volunteer stuff but show up for the drinking events. Bummer, guess I'll be driving the drunk bus now.