Friday, November 9, 2007

Confusion and People Who Are Smarter Than Me

Let's be clear - Texas is still scary to me. The big hair, the weird state pride, the starched denim, the belt buckles, and most especially the blind conservatism...they still scare me. However, there are things I have come to like around here. I've made friends, I've been to the rodeo, and dare I say, this has become home. Its confusing, because while I still find this place bizarre and make fun of it almost by the minute, I'm starting to like living here.

It has taken someone smarter and funnier than me to coin a phrase that describes me to a "T". Tessie over at Messing With Texas called herself a "reluctant Texan." Brilliant!

So, now if the chic who wrote the book that led me to the name of this blog threatens to sue me for stealing her title, I'll have a back-up name, The Reluctant Texan. Wish I had thought of it sooner!

3 comments:

Tess said...

The weird state pride is by far the worst. No contest.

I love your "Only in Texas" category.

Anything is Possible said...

I think it's important to try to fit in wherever you live. We all did a great job in Japan by observing the 'rules of society' but we drew the line at legwarmers and heels. I just made some gumbo the other night but I refuse to become a Nascar fan. See, you're blending in without the big hair. Good for you! Yee ha MB.

Anonymous said...

We visited Texas once, and it was like going to another country. We found that thinking of it that way (as another country) made the experience more fun and interesting.