Sunday, November 11, 2007

Speaking of....

I am so excited! - sort of. Rich has informed me that he will be home for Christmas! (yes, I can hear you all humming now.)

There are still 24 hours until we see that in writing. So, am I an optimist who believes and is excited and thrilled? (he hasn't been home for any of the past 3 Christmases) Or, am I a pessimist who plans for the worst so as not to be disappointed? It is a quandary. I really want to be an optimist. I see myself as a positive person, but I so hate the disappointment that sometimes comes a side-dish to optimism. I felt so badly that he was dismayed when I didn't jump up and down and squeal my delight upon his delivery of the news. You know, as if I have ever reacted that way to anything, ever.

Speaking of the approaching holidays...I was talking to some neighborhood friends who were discussing Christmas card photos. They were saying that when they start getting pictures of only the kids that they assume mom and/or dad has let themselves go OR mom and dad are just sticking out the marriage until the holidays are over. Holy crap! How depressing is that? So, my question for all of you is, do you agree? Do I have to get a family picture taken care of before the man o' the house leaves for the next extended absence?

Speaking of the holidays, have you made Christmas shopping lists? Are there any "it" gifts I am somehow unaware of? Tween boys are a tough crowd to shop for! If you have any of those on your shopping lists, Id love to know what you are thinking of gifting to them.

Speaking of tween boys - Did I mention I had 5 of them in my house all day and night on Saturday? Nice boys. But. did I mention I still have a headache? Do you know how much food tween boys can consume? However, I will forgive them almost anything because they were all so sweet and inclusive of the little Grant who, of course, thought that he was one of them. Favorite quote of the night from Grant:

"Oh crap*, mommy, Luke Skywalker is trying to kill me!" Jamie and all of his friends were chasing Grant with light sabers they won as prizes at the infamous fall festival.

Speaking of the fall festival - did I mention that it seems I'll be doing that again next year?

* I did not say that I approve of this language for my 4-yr -old, I am just accurately reporting the event. I guess I should be mildly thankful that it wasn't something worse given the number of middle school boys here.

2 comments:

Anything is Possible said...

Who are these people? Who says crap like, "mom and dad have let themselves go or are just sticking out the marriage until the kids are grown"? If I had another set of hands, a husband who had all the time in the world to hang out all day waiting for family photo ops, OR a nanny I guess I'd be in more photos. I really get annoyed when people voice stupid opinions. I bet they aren't military either.

Yes, I have a list for Christmas. No, it's not exciting at all. A camera, a vacuum cleaner that will suck paint off walls and a nanny. Sorry but I don't have any tweens in the house. Bug wants a train set. All he says is 'choo choo'.

I love the new family photo. You all look great! And I like the new background. I especially like the three new posts! Yay MB!!

P.S. I think the white/silver look fits you best for Christmas.

MaryB said...

Bug should come play at our house. Thomas the Tank Engine threw up in here. Grant is train crazy. Our closest neighborhood park is up on a bluff and a very active train track runs along the bottom of it. When Grant was smaller I used to be afraid he was going to propel himself over the edge by not being able to stop the momentum from running so fast to the trains.

I do like the white and silver/gold plan- just not sure it it will be too boring if I don't find a way to add in some snowflakes or angels...maybe a family picture in the snow would suffice. We'll see.