Friday, January 4, 2008

Calling All Coffee Snobs

So, I have been drinking coffee long enough now to be more specific about why i do or do not like certain coffees. I grew up in a house with a mother who was a coffee snob long before being a coffee snob was the yuppie, trendy thing to do.

My husband did not drink coffee at all when we married and has only recently taken up the habit. He grew up in a house with a dad who drinks mainly instant decaf (swill, I tell ya!)

This is why it annoys me to no end that all of a sudden the hubs has an opinion on what kind of coffee I brew in the morning. He likes it seriously "smoky" as I call it. You know, like a French Roast. I do NOT like that at all. Just my preference. My opinion being that if I enjoyed that taste, I would have taken up cigarettes years ago and I'd be 12 pounds lighter.

I like my coffee equally bold, but spicy and acidic. Not smoky. Think Italian Roast and the like.

First of all, I feel that my opinion outweighs his due to my years of coffee drinking. Newbies to my addiction don't rate a vote. Second of all, I'm the one who actually, physically makes the coffee. Also making it my choice, right? Thirdly, I drink mine black 50-60% of the time meaning the flavor of the actual coffee is more important to me than to a man who loads his with creams and sugar.

However, in the back of my head, there is this quietly nagging thought about, "what if his palate is more refined than mine?" Yes, I am really that competitive.

Have you ever read a post equal to this one's patheticness? I never promised that I was interesting. I just spew out to the internet whatever is on my mind no matter how mundane or idiotic.

So, how do you like your coffee?

5 comments:

Tess said...

I don't like smokey either. Smokey tastes like BURNT.

BR doesn't drink coffee AT ALL, so I lucked out there. I am the Boss of the Coffee.

I love bitter flavors so the more bitter the better for me. I've tried the Dunkin Donuts brand coffee recently and I do like that.

el-e-e said...

Me too, I am COFFEE BOSS in my house. Hubby drinks Mello Yellow. HAAAAA. Lame.

I'm impressed that you drink yours black, though. You and Jill are coffee ROCK STARS. I'm just a cream-n-sugar wannabe.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I bet you BUY the coffee too. I say you are in charge on this one. He can always get his own coffee maker and stock his own pantry.

Or maybe you can convince him this is like your Coke. You know how yours always tastes better? Same thing. he just hasn't figured it out yet.

MaryB said...

Annie - I cant believe you remember that!!!! Thanks for the smile! You know what, even though Ive switched to diet for years now, he STILL says mine tastes better!

Miss you even more now.

Katie said...

You totally get to pick the coffee. You drank it first and you drink it black! AND YOU MAKE IT! That right there is the most important reason!

I used to love the flavored coffees, but have since "refined" my taste after learning about coffee from my sister who works at Starbucks. I learned it is actually like wine tasting and the flavored stuff is like White Zin! (BLECK!)

Now, Colombian is my favorite! I CAN drink it black, but I prefer to put a lot of milk in it and reheat it (because it is the only way I drink any milk at all!)