Thursday, January 17, 2008

Spoiled AND Selfish

Evidence that I am both:

1. Grant has been on the waiting list for speech therapy for almost a year. I finally got a call over the holidays that there would be room for him in the Level II class this January. My first thought - Yay! My second thought not even a nanosecond later - Shit! Now he can't just stay at school from 9-2:30 anymore. I have to pick him up after lunch every M/W and drive him clear across town to the university. Crap! I will never get anything done ever again. That's me, mother of the year, cursing my son's chance at being able to speak like a normal person because i find it inconvenient.

2. By clear across town I mean a 8-10 minute car ride. Seriously, I forget that people commute and drive all over the place and crazy crap like that. I am spoiled. Very very spoiled in this regard. I have a "circle." If it happens outside of that circle, then I really do not need to go there for any purpose whatsoever. (I will justify my spoiledness a little here by saying that you too can make this choice if you are willing to sacrifice a little. Most of you would be shocked to find out how small my house is for a family of 5. But, that is what it is worth to me to live in town and never drive more than 10 minutes to ANYTHING.) Anywho, speech therapy and preschool are each, radially from my house, inside the circle. However, preschool to therapy is a diameter of the circle. The circle was only designed with radial trips in mind....

3. There is a small part of me (and I think Rich too ) that does not want The G-man to learn to speak correctly. Do you know how freakin cute he is when he talks? Rich's Aunt Susie forbid us to get him therapy because then Grant won't call her "Aunt Chewie" anymore when he comes to ride her "horhes." Again - selfish mother wants son's development to suffer for the sake of her own entertainment...

2 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I try not to leave the Island if I don't have to. I do for the Y and then try to hit things like Target on the way back. I'm so spoiled, I don't even like to get in the car if I don't have to.

Get him the speech therapy. It's only cute now. It'll get his ass kicked in the fourth grade. And really, with that face, how much more cuteness can you stand?

Tess said...

I am one of those commuters, but I wish I wasn't. I hate driving and anything to do with the car. I wish TX had better public transportation. I know people who drive AN HOUR EACH WAY to and from work. BAH.