Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Where Are the Boxes?

How could I not have figured this out sooner?

I've been crawling out of my skin with some kind of vague anxiety and general sense of restlessness. I've tried painting (you know how I love a painting project!) I've tried some redecorating projects while I wait for the big remodel to start. I thought our house was too small and we should look for a new one. Was it the anticipation of the new year looming ahead of me? Was there something major I was forgetting to do?

No!

It is time to move. I have now lived here longer than I have ever lived anywhere in our 13-year, 8-move marriage. It has been 3 1/2 years. And yet, Uncle Sam won't be sending me any packing orders. I'm here. In Texas. In this house. Living this life. Indefinitely. Unless I choose to change that. I find it both refreshing and unnerving at the same time. Am I happy to be settled, or am I bored because I do not know how to not move? This is just SO weird.

OMG - Does this mean I'm a Texan?

8 comments:

Katie said...

I am totally with you here. We just got out of the active duty Air Force for the civillian (and National Guard) airline world and it is SO weird to think we won't move again unless we choose to. I can hardly wrap my mind around it. I start obsessing over what I don't like about this house and now....I have to figure out how to fix it, because we aren't moving! ACK!!!

Also, being a Texan is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with residency. I'm living in Maryland, but I'm a Texan! :)

Tess said...

Well, I've been here 11 years and plan to continue to be here indefinitely, and I am emphatically NOT a Texan. I have a hard enough time with the fact that my daughter is. WRETCH!

Oh fine, it's not that bad. I think you should look for houses anyway because there's a lot of good cheap stuff out there right now.

Anything is Possible said...

It's such a wierd feeling isn't it? We've been in Florida way longer than the military would've allowed. It's so nice to be out!!!

Change of subject...how do you like the book you're reading "What is the What"? I think it's going to be next on my list.

Rach

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You mean not everyone moves every 18 months to 3 years? I was excited NOT to have movers at my door this winter. But they'll most likely be here before year's end. We've done 11 moves in 12 years. I was starting to think boxes were part of my decorating scheme for a while there.

You aren't moving now, but remember you could move whenever you wish. You don't have to reside in the Lone Star state forever.

el-e-e said...

I still can't believe you've been there longer than this last tour in Pcola. Really?? Crazy.

SLynnRo said...

So down on Texas, you and Tessie. It's really not so bad!

At least you get to live in Ft. Worth, which is in my estimation, superior to Dallas (where I live) in all respects.

MaryB said...

Oh yes yes yes, I would 100% agree that Fort Worth is far superior to the Big D.
AND
I can promise an upoming positive post with regard to my geography :)

Paige said...

OH, OH! I totally get this (even though I voluntarily jumped ship last year).

I've been having issues with the fact that This may be It. I loved the pick up and go part of Navy life and it's so hard for me to imagine that in 5 years, 10 years, (god forbid) 20 years I could still be here. In this house. doing the same thing every day. Weird.

(PS - Can you tell I'm backtracking on all the old posts I missed while trying to make the mortgage and feed myself? :) )