Saturday, May 17, 2008

HELP!!!!

Are you a teacher? Did you used to be a teacher? Are you friends with a teacher? I need HELP with teacher gifts! I DESPISE getting teacher gifts. Not because they don't deserve them, but because I, usually a great gift-giver, am stumped by teacher gifts. How many chocolates, coffee mugs, and Bath and Body works products can one human consume???? I am assuming that every teacher in America has a closet in her home dedicated to her re-gifting supply. I also hate the idea of gift certificates. They seem so impersonal, like, "oh, I wanted to get you something, but didn't want to put any thought into it. I mean you're not THAT important."

At our old school back in Florida this was taken care of so nicely. The PTO sent out letters to every family telling them to forego the gifts and to send in any amount of money. The PTO then distributed it proportionally among teachers, aids, and all the staff. You could send in as much or as little as you wanted and no one knew how much you sent. Then your name was signed to a very nice card that was attached to all the teacher's and staff's "bonuses," which were fairly substantial. Much, much better system if you ask me! WHY OH WHY do we not do that here???

In the end, I'm asking for your help! I need fresh ideas. I've used up all of my good ones. I considered starting a Pandora for them. I think this would be especially nice for Jamie's teacher who is a cancer survivor. I could get her the pink ribbon charm since proceeds from those charms go to the Komen foundation...and the kid charms that go to the end childhood hunger program....I DON'T KNOW! HELP A GIRL OUT HERE!

8 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

A gift card to a local restaurant or something like Starbucks if you know she likes coffee is great. Nothing that has to be dusted. Really, a heartfelt letter and a token gift is way better than a ceramic apple.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I think that gift cards are absolutely lovely gifts. I know a lot of people tend to think they're impersonal, but really unless you really know someone well enough to know what they'd actually like, I think they're the perfect gift. I rather receive a B&N gift card (or where ever) than a Bath and Body Works gift set in a scent I hate, you know?

Good luck deciding what to get!

Anonymous said...

Being a teacher off and on for over 20 years I can honestly say that I loved every gift I ever got from a student or parent because it showed that they did appreciate what I did for them or their child. I have a whole box of trinkets that I love to look at from time to time and remember who they came from. When I have a classroom I set up all my apples, bells, picture frames of students, etc... on a shelf. I still hang the ornaments I received from students at Christmas time on my tree at home. But I am also from Texas, and proud of it, so I love James Avery jewelry. They have a wonderful collection of school charms in both silver and gold and they usually add a new design every year. It is a lasting gift for sure. One of my sisters has a James Avery charm bracelet with all the charms she has received or bought herself over the years and it is absolutely beautiful plus it is full of all her teaching memories. I have taught in Florida and Hawaii and always recieved compliments on my JA jewelry. But a gift card is nice too....

Anonymous said...

Received.....I know it is "i" before "e" except after c. I should have proofread my work. I didn't say I was a great teacher.....

Mandy said...

..I have been thinking the same thing - I gave gift cards for christmas and since then we found out that her husband makes like 7million dollars a years (exaggeration but he still makes A LOT of money) so for some reason this makes me feel strange about giving gift cards (b/c I am weird and stupid, etc about certain things).
Anyway, I am thinking about going to some place like Sur la Table and maybe getting a few summery seasonal items (if they have anything that strikes me - if not I need a plan B).

Anything is Possible said...

I agree...gifts cards. I love them. I can buy whatever I want with them. Starbucks is great if they like coffe. Teavana is a great store for tea lovers. B&N for readers.

nicole said...

I usually buy a cute basket or bucket at the craft store. I then buy some blank on the inside note cards (great ones for a dollar at Michael's) and some cute/fun pens. I might add some nicer chocolates or packets of tea/cocoa (for winter gifts anyway). Then I put in a gift card for 5 bucks maybe to Starbucks or something. Total spent is usually less than 15dollars, I include a nice note, and try to give things that are consumable so they don't take up space.

Mandy said...

sooo I just broke down and got damn gift cards but in my defense I bought really cute gift bags at Hbby Lobby and bandana's to use instead of tissue paper - yes, I am lame but whatever, its done!!!