Monday, May 12, 2008

History According to Connor

Last night, the boys were eating dinner at the kitchen bar. I was cleaning out my purse which had become ridiculously full of receipts and miscellaneous pieces of paper. (Does this happen to you?) Anyway, there is this letter that I keep with me all the time. It is a letter that Rich wrote to me while on his first long cruise in the Navy. I will spare you the sappy contents. It was mixed in with all the junk I was sorting through. Jamie noticed it and picked it up and started to read it. I said something along the lines of, "Hey! That's not yours!" and he put it down. Then I said, "On second thought, go ahead and read it if you like. I hope you can say something like that to a girl one day and mean it." He elected to not read it.

Connor pipes in at this point...

"Don't bother reading it. I know how all the letters go. First dad writes,'Dear Marybeth, I love you. Will you marry me?' Then she writes, 'Dear Rich, No.' 'Dear MaryBeth, Please, please, please, please, please?' 'Dear Rich, Maybe.' 'Dear MaryBeth, pleeeeeaaaase???' 'Dear Rich, I guess so.' "

I love that kid. You can't buy that kind of loyalty and admiration. I think I'll buy him a present tomorrow. I wonder what he would like, you know, just in case that kind of loyalty CAN be bought. Just kidding, of course.

6 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

A. You found your letter! Yeah!!!

B. There is a reason I love Connor so much. This kid cracks me up.

C. I say you promise him a car at 16 for that kind of loyalty.

Katie said...

That is hilarious! How do you keep that letter from disintegrating in your purse!??

And yes, my purse is constantly FULL of paper and just straight up TRASH. Why why why??

Tess said...

Oh, that is so cute. I would totally want them to read the letter.

I once found my parents wedding album, INCLUDING my mom's "notes" from their honeymoon. GAH! Luckily they are divorced so that removed some of the ick factor.

Anonymous said...

Keep the stories coming! Your boys are hilarious!

Mandy said...

you're boys are tooooo awesome ... hopefully its a genetic thing pilots pass down to sons

oh, and I have endless pieces of paper in my purse too

SLynnRo said...

This is adorable. Your sons will have lucky wives with loyal husbands.