Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Too Annoyed to Think of a Pissy Title

Once again I was in the awkward position of feeling as though I had to defend my choice of school for my children. I am getting REALLY, REALLY TIRED of this. My irritation with this topic is trumped only by the lady in the grocery who, upon seeing me (children in tow) pick up a gallon of whole milk, felt the need to tell me that the AAP suggests low-fat after age two. WTF? WHY do people feel the need to interfere in other people's lives? Did she notice that my children are so skinny that CPS might take them away at any moment for malnourishment? Does she know that my oldest is on the verge of going on growth hormones and that he has been undergoing many a bone scan, x-ray, and blood tests??? I just smiled and said,"Well, my pediatrician disagrees with you when it comes to my small children." It occurs to me that she walked off thinking that not only do I not understand nutrition, but that I take my kids to quack of a pediatrician. (Nothing could be further from the truth by the way - she is brilliant. I LOVE her!) Okay. Off topic. Moving on...

To steal a phrase from Tessie, I am WICKED PISSED! My boys go to Catholic school, okay? NOT private school. They are NOT the same thing! BTW, I have nothing against private schools either. Here is a list of things people have said to to me in the past. In real life, I usually pull out my pocket phrase* of, "Well, schools are like shoes and the same one doesn't fit everybody." In purple are things I'd like to say, but rarely do.

  • "Don't you think it is irresponsible to spend all that money on elementary school?" Excuse me, is that ANY of your business, and do you even know how much my tuition bill is at our school or how much money we do or do not make?
  • "How do you plan to fund their college education? Wouldn't that be a better plan for your money?" Well, maybe - except that I have like five good reasons to disagree with you. What I do not have is either the time or inclination to explain them to you.
  • "You know, you are only hurting them in the long run. They will go crazy when you let them out into the real world. You have to stop sheltering them!" Funny thing that - I have like 13 years of Catholic schooling under my belt and have yet to go crazy. The percentage of kids I graduated from grade school or high school with that "went crazy" is NO different than the percentage that "go crazy" in general. Honestly, I'm one of the more well adjusted people I know.
  • "People who think they are too good for public school piss me off!" (yes, someone at the park actually said that to me directly after asking me where my kids go to school!)" I have absolutely no words for this one except to say that all three of my boys have better manners than that jerk! No, I do not think I am "too good" for public school. I do, however, think I am "too good" to bother talking to you any further!
  • "All of my friends who went to private school were afraid of black people." (OH AND AND AND the person who said this one to me didn't use the word black people - think of a really nasty slur - that's what SHE said!) Tolerance and acceptance is taught at home - not at school. Frankly, I think the Catholic church does a much better job backing up what we teach at home than the average Texan I meet around here. (Sorry for the sweeping generalization here, but really...the racism here blows. my. mind.) One of my proudest moments as a parent was the time that one of my nieces asked her mom if a black girl could marry a white boy. My oldest was there and looked at her like she had nine heads and said, "well, they're both people, right?"
  • "Why would you send your children to a school that is not overseen by the state? Is there any accountability without the state tests?" TAKS or FCAT and the like? Teacher pay and bonuses tied to the results? Are you kidding me? Putting those teachers in an impossible situation where you tie their hands to a test and impede their ability to do what they do best? you know, TEACH! You think this is a GOOD idea? You know who oversees my kids school? ME! That's the hell who!
  • "Do you realize that you are hurting my children by not sending your kids to public school? I mean you are taking money out of my children's school system!" WTF????? No you dumb ass - I'm helping you. My tax money gets collected and spent just like everyone else's! I'm actually paying money into a system I'm not using which actually BENEFITS you. Do the math!

Oh my gosh, there are SOO many more I could tell you about, but these are some of the highlights. Just to be very, very clear. I have no doubt that the children of my friends who are in the local elem. school are getting a very good education. I'm just saying it is not the choice for us, and I do NOT understand why people feel that it is appropriate to comment, judge, or lecture me about it. I would never do this to anyone about any of their life choices.

I'm looking back and realizing that I did not exactly explain myself very well about how Catholic school is NOT the same as private school. It would take me pages and pages to try to explain this. I will try to cover this in tomorrow's post though. It is a subject near and dear to my heart. And, if you have any questions about Catholic education, feel free to ask. There seem to be a lot of misperceptions out there and I would like to clear them up so I can stop dodging the "Where do your kids go to school?" question like a slick politician.

###DISCLAIMER### Do not take the poor writing on this blog as evidence of shitty Catholic education. I simply refuse to obsess and edit what I write here the way I do everything else. There has to be an end to my OCD and I say it is at this blog. I spew, I spellcheck, I publish. The end. If you ask my children they will tellyou that Iam actually the grammar Nazi. If 12 yrs of Catholic school grammar don't drill it into you, I assure you that 4 semesters of Latin definitely will!

*pocket phrases are phrases that I use verbatim, in a practiced, friendly tone, when I can feel the inside spool reeling up to unleash on someone. I have several that I can rely on to get me out of almost any situation before I lose it and say things I shouldn't. Maybe I should post them. They are so, so useful, but only if you practice them! You have to be willing to talk to yourself in the mirror...

4 comments:

SLynnRo said...

I get that same attitude about, oh, EVERY DAMN THING I BUY. And I do not buy things as important as children's educations, so I cannot even imagine what a bitch I'll be if I send my kids to a non-public school. Which is so what I'll do.

Mandy said...

I get the same stuff from people and Collin isnt even in school yet (well, preschool but I meant real school)

I just have no good reason for letting the government educate my child ... and I agree with everything you said .. .thank you for spelling it out sooo clearly!!!

this is actually one of the reasons we have for not having more than one child - to be able to educate him the way we see fit -so between that and him being an only child we get crap ALL THE TIME

anyway, excellent post, excellent!!

Brenda said...

::tap::tap::tap:: is this thing on?

1. I have 5 kids. All grown up now, all drank whole or 2%. None of them are overweight. When I was pregnant with my first I drank raw milk. Yes, my now ex-inlaws had a cow and my now ex-husband, would have to milk it. The cream off the top was fantastic!

2. Sheltering them? What? They don't see other kids in school? They won't understand the 'real' world? I think that person isn't living in the real world.

3. It's your money. You are an adult. You get to choose how the money is spent.

4. Your taxes are going to pay for the public schools along with everybody elses. The public schools aren't loosing any more funding than if your child went to public school.

5. You live around a bunch of crazies. You should move out of Texas and over here... to Oregon. The west side of the state. Up in the corner. A little town called Portland. Where a common bumper sticker is, "Portland. Keep it Wierd"

HOW RUDE OF SOME PEOPLE.... is the best I can come up with.

Smack 'em one!

It doesn't take the neighborhood to raise kids. It just takes the family.

Okay. I'll step down now.

One more thing... I have a sister-in-law that is like many of those you mentioned....opinionated. Makes me want to smak her every now and then. She use to tell me how to raise my kids, and she didn't even have any.

Okay.. I'm done.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You evidently need to work on your icy stare. Honestly, people are amazing. There is no right way to respond to these folks because any and all responses would be wasted upon them. I can imagine I'm going to be a joy to be around when we reach this stage. Unless "cram it" is an appropriate response.