Friday, July 18, 2008

Pie is DELICOUS, People!

Maye it is because of my southern roots. Maybe it is because I am just a wee bit opinionated and really like to be right! This pie debate is killing me. I feel it is my duty to convert you all to pie. Swistle mentions that maybe it is just the fruit type pies she doesn't like. I can see her point. some people do not like hot fruit. Well, I have some answers. First of all, store bought pie is a no, no, no!!!!! The ONLY store-bought or frozen pie I will allow is Mrs. Smiths Deep-dish apple pie. And, even then, making your own is better. But, Mrs. Smith is pretty good especially if you top it with a praline crust at the end of baking. OR, instead of ice cream on your apple pie, I recommend fresh whipped cream sweetened with real maple syrup. Cherry pie? Bake sugared, sliced almonds on the top of your crust and serve with amaretto ice cream or amaretto whipped cream.

Now, if you are STILL opposed to the cooked fruit, I suggest this peach pie. It is only good in the summer when you can get great peaches. My husband looks forward to at least two of these during the height of peach season...

Fresh Peach Pie

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (sometimes i like to use half salted, half unsalted)

2 cups powdered sugar

3-5 tablespoons brandy (to taste) (can use peach brandy if you prefer - I like unflavored)

1 fresh-baked pastry for 9 inch pie (cooled, not warm from oven!)

6-8 large fresh peaches, peeled and sliced

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/4-1/3 cup sugar (depending on natural sweeteness of your peaches)

Freshly whipped cream sweetened with sugar and vanilla

*Beat butter at medium speed with electric mixer until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar and brandy beating well. spread in bottom of pastry shell. Chill in fridge for a bit.

*Combine peaches, lemon juice, and granulated sugar; cover and chill.

*Whip your cream with sugar and vanilla to taste.

*Drain peaches. Arrange over butter mixture in pastry shell. Top with whipped cream.

*Try not to assemble too far in advance. 2 or 3 hours should be okay. Try to serve as soon as as possible for the very best results!

6 comments:

Tracy said...

If you had my Apple pie, you would NEVER buy another store bought apple pie. I use my grandmas secret recipe. YUMMY. Come over in the fall and i will whip one up for you.

Actually, my favorite is Fresh Strawberry pie. THen it isn't warm and it is super yummy when you go to the farm and pick them yourself.

MaryB said...

Thank you Tracy for thee back up on the deliciousness of pie! i think some ppl do not likeit because they haven't hd good ones. OBV, some people just dont like it, but others have just been deprived of things like your grandmother's apple pie. I agree about the storebought pies!! i only use that one i mentionin a total pinch and then, i do stuff to gussy it up!

I am TOTALLY coming over pie!!!

Mandy said...

I come from an apparent long line of UNbakers - although any of my relatives can put emeril and his "cajun-creole" dishes to SHAME - BUT my husband is a "pie hater" especially of the warm fruit variety - i showed him this post and he agreed that peaches would be the ONE fruit he would eat cooked - so I guess I will be trying my hands at pie making in the near future - I did make those little key lime pie things from the Juneish issue of SL and they were GREAT and a big hit so maybe I just need to slowly introduce pie into the family:)

MaryB said...

mandy - If E doesn't liked cooked fruit - then this pie is the perfect way to introduce fruit pie since it is fresh, uncooked peaches!

Dear Eric, PIE ROCKS!!! and I WILL convince you! Otherwise i will revoke your status as a southerner. You are from Atlanta, right?

Mandy said...

I didnt even noticed you didnt cook it - I am a bad reader

regardless, eric was born in Orlando and I am not positive that people from Orlando are "southerners"!!?

but he spent a larger portion of his life in atlanta .... so there is THAT

Anonymous said...

ooooh, thanks for posting. I can't wait to try this one! My hubs likes pie, but not berries. I wonder if peaches are too close to berries to be acceptable in his world? We shall see.