Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Does Dinner Taste Better in a Pretty Kitchen? **EDITED for leftovers!

I do not know for sure, but I can tell you for sure that every single person in my family asked for seconds and raved and gushed about dinner last night. I can always count on one or two people to love dinner, while the other one or two act as though I'm feeding them rotten Alpo. EVERYONE being thrilled with dinner is a big deal. It was a simple dinner so I thought I'd share my creation with anyone interested. (If you lived in Japan with me, or ever visited me there, this tastes A LOT like Pancho's chicken salsa blanca!)


Take 5 boneless/skinless chicken breasts and put them in a baking dish. Season them liberally with taco seasoning, garlic salt, and black pepper. Slice a small onion and lay a few rings over the chicken. Drizzle all of this with the tiniest amount of a neutral oil such as light/extra light olive oil or just a vegetable/canola oil. Bake chicken in a 375 degree oven for about 3o minutes or until done depending upon the size of your chicken breasts.

Let cool for about 10 minutes or until you feel like dealing with getting dinner on the table. Then chop and/or shred all of the chicken. Dump the chopped/shredded chicken into a large skillet or saute pan. Add in about 1 1/2 - 2 cups Pace Salsa Verde. (you can also toss in some minced jalapeno here for some extra "kick") Mix together over medium-high heat. Let it really start to simmer/boil. Then just let it cook for about 45 minutes to an hour or until most of the liquid has evaporated. (you won't be able to evaporate all of it, but it will be greatly reduced) At this point cut 4-6 oz of light cream cheese into pieces and stir it into the hot chicken until melted and blended. Stir in a bit of salt and pepper. Serve alongside warm corn and/or flour tortillas. I baked some refried beans topped with enchilada sauce and shredded cheese as a side dish. A big fruit salad made for a refreshing accompaniment as well.

Hope your family enjoys as much as mine. It was really easy! You could even bake and chop the chicken the night before...How easy would that make dinner the next day?


**EDIT/UPDATE** Leftoves are di-vine over rice! (thought of doing this first go-around next time, but cooking the rice with rotel mixed in)

13 comments:

Mandy said...

ok, I am soo making that ... tonight probably ..thanks:)

el-e-e said...

OMG thank you for finally posting this! You knew I wasn't going to remember it from a phone conversation, right?

Aren't we supposed to be not eating jalepenos?? Salmonella??

I worry that this Salsa Verde is one of those new products we're all going to fall in love with and then Pace will stop making it with no explanation (I'm looking at YOU, Quesedilla flavored Tostitos). Might have to stock up...

Julie said...

That sounds SO GOOD! I'm definitely going to try this.

Thanks for the kind words about the rough start to school today. :)

Katie said...

YUM!!! I wonder if we can even find Pace Salsa Verde up here in "Yankee" land! :) I'm going to try it.

SLynnRo said...

Maybe if I had a real adult kitchen, I would cook too.

Though, not likely. Honestly.

Anonymous said...

Oh yum!! That sounds a lot like a variation on a chicken enchilada recipe that I adore, so I am definitely going to try this out!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I miss Pancho's chicken. And margaritas. Not so much the drive, though.

Mandy said...

ok, so I came back to get the recipe and I noticed your edited update and I am slightly freaked b/c I bought a can of rotel to make with rice FOR THIS MEAL before I knew you added this in .... also, I have regular cream cheese is that ok or is there something about the light cream cheese that cooks better or something ???

Julie said...

YUMMY! I made this Saturday night and had it for dinner again last night and am having it AGAIN tonight. Will probably try it with rice tonight but really, really like it with tortilla chips.

Question...what is the consistency supposed to be like? Mine ended up really thick, which I like, but I was just wondering.

MaryB said...

Mandy - nothing special about the light cream cheese - it is just what I usually have on hand. And, OBV, great minds think alike.

Julie - Yes, mine ws fairly thick. I don't like things to run all over the plate. I like the chip idea! Also, you can seal it up in tortillas, spray the "packets" and then bake them til crispy inthe oven. Spray when you turn over to crisp both sides. Am I making sense, here?

Mandy said...

so.freaking.good.

I just emailed it to my sister and my mom .. and explained WHO you are and how we are "related" :)

Julie said...

Oooo...I like the packet idea! Then you could pour more of that salsa verde (which I LOVE) on top. I'm thinking too,that with the thick consistency, it would be an excellent chip dip for parties. I finished it off tonight and didn't even share. The kids had turkey! :)

Anything is Possible said...

You are wonderful! I have been craving the blanca chicken for WEEKS. I almost posted a blog looking for a recipe but I ended up packing my house and moving far far away. I will unpack into a new house in a week. I'm making this dish!!!!