Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Trader Tuesdays - on Wednesday

From Twitter today:
LEEXXXX @yankeemb ummm.... all talk and no recipe action? consider your wrist slapped. ;) Hope nothing bad happened... you ok? from web in reply to yankeemb

Nothing Bad happend, just, well, PTO happened.

So sorry about the Trader Tuesday fellow recipe lovers! My excuse is that it was the first PTO meeting of the year (my first meeting as president)...enough said? It was ca-ray-zeee around here! I thought Id post when I made it home after meeting and getting kids to bed...hahaha...I am so naive.


AAANNNDDD, there is the little matter that I am embarrassed to publish my recipe for the week in light of the fact that 3 of the Tuesday Traders are real Louisianans, not just people from the near-to-Louisiana gulf coast like myself. However, I am too damn tired to think of a new one, so here is my Cheater's version of Red Beans and Rice. It is SUPER QUICK and EASY, yet is still my husband's favorite dinner. I make sure to get this on the stove simmering before he comes home if he is mad at or annoyed with me. The smell hits him in the garage before he even walks into the house. He walks in the door with a smile. (If Ive REALLY pissed him off, I pour a really cold Abita into a frosty mug when I hear the garage door go up signaling his arrival) The kids all love it too - the beans, not the beer.



Cheater's Red Beans and Rice



  • 1 -2 cloves garlic (to your taste)
  • 1 lb smoked sausage (or whatever kind you like - andouille, hot, whatever, but plain 'ol smoked sausage will do )
  • 1 medium onion (or 1/2 large) ( I don't like it too onion-y)
  • 3 cans light red kidney beans
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 tsp Creole Seasoning ( I use Tony's)
  • 1 small bay leaf
  • a few dashes Louisiana style hot sauce (Tabasco, Louisiana, Crystal (my favorite), or another)
  • A bit of olive oil

Finely chop onion. Slice sausage. (I like to cut my round slices into halves or fourths - I like smaller pieces of sausage, but you can leave them bigger if you like).

Heat enough oil in dutch oven to sweat the onion. After the onions have been in for a minute or two, add in the sausage and brown the onion and sausage together. When close to browned, add in your garlic. Finish browning. Then, add in your chicken broth to your hot pan, being sure to scrape up any of that yummy brown goodness sticking to the bottom of the pan. Then add in your 3, undrained, cans of beans. Stir in your seasoning, hot sauce, and bay leaf. Bring close to, but not quite to a boil. Then simmer for about 30 minutes covered. Then simmer for about 30-45 minutes uncovered. This sounds like a long time, but it is basically hands off for all of that simmering time except for the very occasional stir of the pot.



When you are ready, cook up some long grain rice. Serve beans over rice. I usually serve this up with some crusty French bread and a spinach salad. Leftovers are great and my boys love to take them for lunch at school. (consider this link to be additional kitchen help to make up for my tardiness in Tuesday trading!)


Okay, I'm off to do more PTO work and iron shirts for the fugliest formal uniform in the history of uniforms. (hate thursdays!) Once I get a little more caught up (when the hell is that going to be?*%$#!?#!) I plan to start a new series of posts. I was looking through my recent posts and archives and noticed that I sound a little too "perfect mommy - muffiaish" OOOH NO! Not so! So, I'm going to post some installments of "Greater Moments in Parenting" and some installments of "Lesser Moments in Parenting." You all have to promise to not call CPS though, okay?


5 comments:

Katie said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE red beans and rice. Oh, and I tried your yummy salsa verde chicken. YUM! It was awesome!

Julie said...

Cheater schmeater...this sounds great! And I'm taking the salsa verde chicken to a friend's house on Monday to share. :)

Iceberg Queen said...

I will testify that this recipe is not only delicious but seriously simple to make. The hardest part for me these days is finding the Tony's to put in it. Believe it or not, the only place I've found it in the last 12 months is Vermont. Random.

MaryB said...

IQ - I will send you a care package!!!!!

Mandy said...

mmm MORE bean recipes!! ....

I need to know the LA people:
me?lee?jilly??.....is there someone else out there I need to be reading?!?!?!?!