Thursday, August 7, 2008

Truer Words Never Spoken

A friend of Connor's came to pick him up to take him to his class's Back-to-School party tonight. His mother is very nice and she is fascinated by the pilot marriage lifestyle. She is constantly (like to the point of being annoying) telling me how she "could not do it!" she "doesn't know HOW I do it!" and that I am her "hero" and "amazing!" It is all very sweet. Really, it is. I'm not gonna say that I don't like the praise. I usually respond that,"Well, I've never known anything different." Today, she was gushing more than usual after a week of PTO craziness. She only saw the results. She didn't see the behind-the-scenes pictures of my house going to hell in a hand basket, or the laundry piling up higher than Mount McKinley, or the amount of fast food crap my children ate during the insanity that was my week. She once again said, " I just don't know how you do all that you do!"

Connor looked up at her and said, "Sometimes she just doesn't."

That, my friends, is EXACTLY HOW I do it...Sometimes I just DON'T.

7 comments:

Anything is Possible said...

Oh Connor. He's so honest! My mom told me I don't have to do it all during hectic weeks. Once she told me that, I actually took her advice. This week we've eaten a lot of fast food. Our only sit down meal was at Cracker Barrel and the only reason we went there was for green beans and fried okra. I just couldn't drive to Lulu's for their fried okra...but I really wanted to. The only 'important' thing I've done has been to continue bathing myself and the kids. I'm okay with the fast food. It's a relief to know I don't have to plan a dinner or try to find a way to keep food cold. Now that all my pots and pans are packed, I want to cook. Crazy how that works isn't it?

el-e-e said...

Smart-mouthed kid.

I LOVE HIM.

Kristi said...

You've just got to love an honest answer from a kid! Too funny!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I think Connor's answer is going to be my new answer, cause, seriously, sometimes I don't either. And I'm with you on the praise sometimes bordering on annoying. How, exactly, do these people expect you to respond? Go Connor.

Tracy said...

That is pretty much how I do it!

SLynnRo said...

Your children are wise beyond their years.

Brenda said...

Great Answer!