Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cooking Is Fun If You Are In the Kitchen With a Fungi

Here is the pasta I promised in the previous, hurried post.

I found some portabella and ricotta stuffed frozen ravioli at the local grocery (Tom Thumb). It was the store brand actually. I would guess that Publix has something similar if you are one of those people lucky enough to have a Publix available. (The best reason to live on the east - PUBLIX!) I have noticed that many items at Publix can be found at Tom Thumbs here in Texas.

Obviously, you will cook those raviolis per package instructions. Basically, boiling water, 3-4 minutes. drain. Duh!

While that's happening you need to mince up a shallot (or if you don't have one handy mince, and I mean MINCE - TINY, a little bit of regular onion, maybe a tablespoon or less.) Saute that shallot/onion with a clove of minced or smashed garlic in about 2-3 tablespoons butter. After a minute or two add in 8 oz (a whole package) of pre-sliced (because I am LAZY) portabella or baby bellas. Toss in a bit of dried Italian seasoning, possibly it was about a teaspoon? Continue cooking for about 8-10 minutes or until the 'shrooms are looking brown and tender. (If you are not used to cooking with mushrooms this will look like a lot of mushrooms, but they cook down to so much less so quickly.)

Now, the yummy part....Add in 1 cup cream, a pinch of salt, and a few turns of pepper. Let it simmer for 5 minutes or so. Then, stir in some chopped, fresh basil (three or four leaves) and some grated Parmesan cheese(maybe 1/2 cup). Stir in drained ravioli and enjoy!

2 comments:

Julie said...

In my head, this sounds delicious. However, I feel the same about mushrooms as you do about onions (it's onions, right?).

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Yum. I may try this when I get home to my kitchen.