Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Trader Tuesdays

It feels a bit odd to post a recipe that includes champagne during these economic times. Go ahead, do it. You can buy an individual Sophia or you can substitute a nice dry white. When times are tough, you can enjoy a lovely, elegant (but EASY) dinner at home.

This recipe has developed over the years. It started a s a recipe in Southern Living, but it was a bit bland. So I tinkered with it. Then, a few years back, Rachael Ray made something similar, so I took a page from her playbook and sometimes add in some red grapes.



Champagne Poached Chicken


  • 1 cup champagne
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts (I pound them I tiny bit)
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • scant 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • small clove minced garlic ( i use a pretty small clove to keep the flavor more on the "delicate" side)
  • pinch of ground red pepper
  • pinch salt
  • red, seedless grapes - cut in half

  • Bring champagne, and broth to a boil in a large skillet.
  • Add chicken - reduce het. Cover, and simmer until chicken is tender (about 10 - 15 minutes depending on size and thinckness of chx. Sonce I poind mine a bit, it usually right at 10 minutes.)
  • Remove chicken and keep warm.
  • Whisk in the whipping cream, mustard, garlic, pepper, and salt.
  • Simmer over medium heat, whisking occassionally, until thickened. (about 10 minutes)
  • Add chicken and grapes (if you are using them) back to the skillet and heat through.

I have served this with several types of pasta, but orzo with parsley is my favorite. My other favorite accompaniment is asparagus or thin, French green beans (haricots verts). The asparagus I like to roast, and the beans I like to blanch and then saute in a little butter with a bit of shallot and garlic and finish with the tiniest pinch of nutmeg.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I now want a mimosa b/c usually that is the only way I like champagne!!!

but this looks easy and like company over for dinner nice:)

also, can we discuss Rachael Ray?? I cannot take listening to her voice anymore even though there was a long time where I watched 30 min meals every.single.day

el-e-e said...

YUM.

Julie said...

Mmmmmm...this sounds wonderful!

I used to watch Rachael Ray all the time, too. But she makes me tired now and I can't watch her anymore.