Monday, September 29, 2008

Free Therapy By Phone

So, I called our friend, Mrs. Therapist, today. I had missed a call from her earlier in our never-ending game of phone tag. Of course, she does not answer the phone while in a session, so another therapist in the practice answered my call. Here are some bits of the conversation resulting from the complicated appointment scheduling...

First of all, I apologized that it was taking so long for my computer to pull up Rich's October schedule. He asked if Rich was on a month by month schedule. When I answered "yes," he then replied, "Oh, is he a pilot?" I said, "Yes." He then asked me, "Is there something in the air or going on the industry? You are the sixth or seventh pilot couple to call today." I told him that "We're all just trying to avoid being victims of AIDS." **Dead Silence on the other end** I quickly clarified, "You know? Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome." **Burst of snorting laughter on the other end** He said, "Wait , let me get a pencil. I've got to write that one down. I might need that in a session sometime soon."

A moment later he offered me an appt to which I had to reply that Rich was flying that day. He asked, " I thought you said he was flying only on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays?" I explained that, "Well, yes. BUT, Rich was flying for the navy that day." Sounding incredulous he asked, "You mean he has two flying jobs? And did I just hear you talking to more than one child? How old are they?" I answered his questions and he continued, "Would you just like to book appointments on the 20 year plan? Maybe weekly into perpetuity?"

After a few more attempts at dates and times that would work, we found one that would work. It was, however, further away than I would like. He asked if I would like to be on the cancellation list. I said that I would, but that I would like to make sure I had my cell # on file since I missed out on one of those type of appts last week due to the fact that they called my home phone. (hello run-on sentence. I see you and I don't care.) Somehow in that course of conversation I answered something about the PTO. His reply was that, "How about weekly into perpetuity AND I recommend you to an inpatient treatment so that you can have a prescription for a vacation? And, obviously you are a masochist."

These were some much needed giggles for me today. Free therapy by phone. I love this office. I have a feeling it is going to get harder and harder to get an appointment with them given the current state of the economy. That'll suck.

8 comments:

Julie said...

That guy sounds funny...maybe you should make your appointment with him?! I would LOVE a prescription for a vacation! :)

MaryB said...

I thought of that also, but our girl is equally charming and real. I think it is just a fabulous group they have going up there. I bet its a great place to work. And you know what I didnt include in the post? He was SSOOO nice at he end of t he call, he said, "seriously, if you need anything before then, call us, we'll find a way to help you out." And he was SO sincere about it. Thank goodness there are such lovely people in the world! ( I have a feeling you're one of them too!!!)

Kristi said...

If he's handing out prescriptions for vacation, I'll take one too!

Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome might be the funniest thing I'll read all day!!! Ha ha ha!

Tracy said...

I love the AIDS reference. I have contemplated the whole therapy thing, but the daunting task of trying to get him home is just too much. I can't keep a schedule for him. He changes them around too much. Of course, I may have to fly down just to visit that practice myself. That sounds like an awesome place. could you go ahead and get me a prescription for the inpatient thing too? Oh and while you are at it, could you get me a prescription for a nanny so everything is taken care of?? Thanks so much!

Mandy said...

I was going to say what Julie said about booking an appointment with him ... also makes me wonder if this is something I/we need to look into, not that I think we'll get "AIDS" but you know, just because

MaryB said...

Mandy - Ill tell you this. We are certaily not on the path to AIDS either (that Im aware of!), but something she said in one of our first sessions was:

"People get preventitive care through annual physicals, well-woman visits, dental cleanings, eye exams, etc, etc. But no one does any maintenace on thir marriage or their mental health...and aren't those equally important?"

It has really stuck with me. Granted, we have issues that we are working on, but really, dont we all? It is noce to have a safe place to do it and with help and a buffer. If your insurance covers it I would highly suggest it.

MaryB said...

Tracy - how about we get you, me, mady, tracy, julie, katie...any and all pilot/military wives we know and get a group rate on a vacation that includes traveling husband therapy? Mix a little business/mentalhealth/pleasure!!!

Paige said...

Ok. Srsly. It's been AGES since I visited any blog including mine, and may I just say here:

*OH, how I've missed you and your wonky sense of humor, Mary Beth! I hereby promise not to stay away for so long again.*

And also - does he make housecalls to Indiana?