Friday, October 17, 2008

Hindsight Is Indeed 20/20 (Brilliantly Illustrated By Shonda Rhimes)

Did you watch Grey's Anatomy last night?

You know how "they" say that the things that are the funniest are those things rooted in some amount of truth? Well, I could not have been laughing harder as Christina, Meredith, and Izzie watched the dermatology residents with equal parts awe, jealousy, and disdain. THAT is EXACTLY how college was for me. Other people having that quintessential, fun college experience while I toiled away like Quasimodo in a lab. I remember walking to The Commons to get some lunch and seeing adorable sorority girls stretched out on their Greek embroidered, oversized beach towels clad in adorable bikinis studying in the sun. I simultaneously adored and hated them. It was exactly like what you saw last night on Grey's! They were putting on the sunscreen while my pasty white nerdy butt was upstairs running a GC-Mass Spec and and IR on the damn oxybenzone in their sunscreen. The Greek girls were all sharing the knowledge of professors' past tests and helping each other through while all the people I knew were one step short of trying to actually sabotage each other because they (thankfully not me - I was going to law school)) were all competing for the same med school slots.

All that so that I could be the effing PTO president and be known for the best desserts in the neighborhood. Why didn't the future me clue the college me in?

As an aside, how sorry did you feel for Lexie, and why is Derek being such an ass?

Please take note! This is in NO WAY a slam on Greek life or non-technical college people. In fact, I'm saying those people were way smarter than me and I wished I had realized it back then! I am openly admitting my jealousy so save the hate mail for another day.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I'm with you. I toiled way too much in college. I was far too responsible. That was dumb. I was trudging to my soil physics lab while others were playing frisbee on the grass. What was I thinking? Well, I do hate playing frisbee...so maybe that was it.

Mandy said...

my favorite part of Greys was the look on Dr bailey's face when Callie was telling her about her "date"

ok, I will admit here that I have been thinking A LOT about college lately. I REALLY wish I would have gone to a better school from the get go ... I still blame my parents for this .. they were working in ther small business 24/7 and had 3 other kids to deal with so they never took me to vist ANY school .. NONE .. I got shafted and YES I am still bitter about it. I went thru Rush and I pleadged and then depledged right before initiation. I WISH I would have Rushed better .. at a better school and stuck with it BUT I guess everything happens for a reason, 3 years later Eric and I transferred to a new school together and they rest, as they say, is history.

My sister was in sorority at LSU and evidentally got kicked out for grades b/c of too much partying, and not enough studying .. BUT she did meet her husband b/c of it ... he was dating one of her sisters when they met ... this is a whole other story entirely though and ironically NOT the reason she got kicked out.

Tracy said...

My family says I went to college and came home with my MRS. degree. I still didn't do the greek thing and look back and say if only..

el-e-e said...

I think everyone has regrets about college. I really and truly enjoyed my college experience, Greek and non-Greek parts alike, but definitely wish now that I'd done a few things differently.

Julie said...

Haha...Seinfeld would call you an "antiGreekite". *snickering*

Need to catch up on my Grey's. It's on the DVR at the moment waiting for the VeggieTales craze to slow down enough for me to watch it!

Pamela Jaye said...

thanks for the insight into what it's like to be able to afford college. (though honestly, after 11th grade, I just wanted to get thru 12th and out of school for good.(and I used to *like* school))

Sorry you got screwed, Mandy.

MaryB said...

PJ - So sorry if you took this post in some spirit that was not intended. However, just to be clear, I did not "afford" college. I worked hard and had two full scholarships. Also, I held down a fairly demanding job the entire time. And, obviously, from the post, I was not there partying it up - I was there busting my ass.

Mandy said...

I graduated in 1997 and I am STILL paying off my school loans:)