Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What's a Girl To Do?

First of all an update on the food diary - I am a loser who fell off the wagon. It all started with a trip to the movies, and ,really, who can resist movie popcorn, m&m's, and Twizzlers???? THEN I came home to find next year's tuition increase letter in the mail. OMG!! I drowned my sorrows in the rest of the m&m's. The next day was little Eliza's baptism and her mom had such yummy yummy food and mimosas(spiked with peach and mango nectars) and CAKE!....and, if these cute girls* invited you over for cake could you say no????


Next order of business - Remember when you all helped me to decide which new bedding to order? Well, I ended up getting the red paisley. I painted my room, put it all together and thought it looked great. I do all of these type of projects when Rich is on a trip because he gets all grumpy when I am in project mode. I think that mostly he is afraid I will ask him to help (as if!) Anyway, he got home late last night. He went back to go to bed and went to bed without saying a word. Well, I know what that means - he hates it! I asked him about it this morning and he, as nicely as he could, confirmed that in fact, yes, he hates it. It is "too red" and looks "like a total chic room." So, what would you do? Would you send it all back and start over? Or, would you think that he will just get used to it/get over it and that he is just a man/pilot anyway and what the heck does he know? I haven't put up the new panels on the windows yet or painted the bathroom, but have already ordered the monogramming on the new towels...

Lastly, I am freaking out about our impending remodel project. We have been thinking, planning, and dreaming about this since we moved in four years ago. I suffered (and I do mean suffered) through almost two years of regional airline pay while waiting for this to be a possibility. We have picked out floors, we have paid for landscape and lighting plans, etc, etc...but now this darn economy has me freaked out!!!! And then we get a letter from hub's company that made me cringe. Are we insane to go ahead with this? He assures me that everything is okay, but everytime I turn on the news I freak out a little more, and then he tells me that this is actually a great time to do this...good rates on a HELOC, and we a lender's dream at this point in time, blah, blah, blah....I am torn. I have waited for my house to be one I love. I have been so excited, but now the excitement is being tainted with trepidation...Please, please, tell me to just be excited! And, all of you people...spend your tax returns and tax rebates on a trip somewhere, will ya? A trip that requies you to FLY somewhere!!!! Perferably on a particular airline! Mama needs her some new floors and a pantry, and a sprinkler system!!

*blatant bragging on my mom - Can you believe my mom made these dresses? Cut, sewed, smocked and all without ever even being in the same state to measure them? This is why I should have had at least one girl! What a waste to have a grandma who is SO talented and have a bunch of boys!

AND - Spellcheck STILL is not working - AARGH!

9 comments:

SLynnRo said...

Keep it the way you like it.

My perspective on this:

Rich may hate it. But does he really care? Not as much as you care. He will hate it for a week or two, and then get over it. You, however, will be pissed off for months (or in my case, YEARS) if you have to start over and modify what you want to suit his tastes.

Also, I am selfish, so you may not want to take any of my advice.

Tess said...

Those dresses (and girls) are GORGEOUS! So cute.

What is "chickish" about red? I DEMAND TO KNOW. What a dilemma. Depends on his level of Fussiness, I guess. I would have to change it, but that's because I'm dealing with a Level Four Fussypants.

MaryB said...

slynn - can I call you slynn? I totally agree. I, too, am selfish. I was hoping for responses like yours so that I would feel less like an inconsiderate bitch.

And - it just occurred to me that he only sleeps here about 40% of the time anyway!

Tracy said...

Okay, on the room thing...My motto...YOU LIVE THERE AND HE JUST RESIDES THERE. If you feel it is necessary and right, then by goodness it is.
Now on to that letter. That was a bit disturbing to me. I am not sure I got a letter and am now wondering about our future kitchen remodel.

SLynnRo said...

Call me slynn, sure. Just FYI- Slynnro is a combination of my first, middle (lynn) and maiden name.

Katie said...

Okay. We need to SEE the bedding/paint colors to help you!!! There may be something very easy you can do to bring down the chick level. I'm sorry he doesnt' like it. Men can be such killjoys!

And, ohhhhh, how I am WAITING for this first airline year to be over so that I can afford to buy non-generic EVERYTHING, so I feel your pain. I get pissed off everytime I see anything bad about the economy. If the media would just shut up everyone would be flying off on vacations! :)

Also....LOVE those dresses!

MaryB said...

slynn - I figured it was some combo like that. Slynn, just rolls of the tongue. I like the sound of it. Because, you know, Im nuts and I actually hear the conversations in my head when blogging/commenting. Complete with voices, tones, sarcasm and gesturing...I am what my frined, Susan would call a whack-a-doodle.

Tracy - nothing too, too scary. It was a "memo" from the big cheese about the coming year not being easy. Stuff we have all heard before. There were rumblings around the squadron that it was the company's way of manipulating emotions and fear during negotiations. I dont really buy into that too much, Anywho, Im sure yours is in the mail if you haven't gottenit already. It says that one went out to everybody. Oh, and one more thing - keep in mind that I have become a financial alrmist after the two years mentioned in the post, so my "OMG the sky is falling" may be another man's "eh, meh, it'll get better soon."

Katie - Ill see if I can get some pictures where the colors look accurate. Im a pathetically cruddy photographer. And, Ill be embarrassed that the windows have nothing but blinds on them and that the other pillows I ordered aren't there yet. And - if it makes you feel any better - 1st year at the company was actually a huge relief for us! Isnt that unbearably pathetic? The 2 years after active duty were quite something! Thank goodness for the squadron!!! I feel your pain and then some!

Brenda said...

I have no decoration sense. I live in hand-me-downs and I'm 51. Why buy it when you know you're mom is going to give it to you eventually. My piano, was my grandmothers, my kitchen table - mom's... she got a cute black one.. I see it in my future.. in about 5 years.

The dresses are darling. And I sew... so.. I know what time it took to do the smocking. Cute.. Cute.. CUTE!

And... I have three boys.. and two girls.. all grown now.. but still, my mom never made anything like that...She did do a lot of hemming for my kids... but, never sewed anything.

The red in your bedroom is so dang uplifting... cheeery...fun... inviting and exciting. I'd keep it. My bedroom is purple. :-) But... I'm single. I can do whatever I want.

MaryB said...

Brenda - thanks for commenting! and since you sew, Ill bore you with more bragging! the roses on the smocking are actuallu ribbon embroidery on top of the smocking.

My mom, does all of this. The smocking, French Hand sewing, American Girl Doll clothes making, quilting and a myriad of other handicrafts all while traveling the globe constantly working ina high stress job. I do NOT know how she does it. She says she likes it and it kills time on long flights. I dont buy it. She tried to teach me to smock while I was on bed rest during one of my pregnancies. Ha!! I threw the whole thing across the room after less than an hour and a million and one mistakes.

I hope one of my brothers will give her some granddaughters to sew for.