Friday, June 6, 2008

Go Sell Crazy Someplace Else - We're All Stocked Up Here!

It has been my experience that making friends can be much like looking for a job. The problem with this is that sometimes, no matter how qualified an applicant you may be, there are no positions open.

I have decided that this is my problem here. Fort Worth is much like my hometown. It is a city whose residents are fiercely loyal to it. They grow up here, go away to college and then return as soon as is prudent with regards to their careers. This is especially true in the older Fort Worth neighborhoods. I would say that somewhere between 50 and 85 percent (closer to the upper figure!) of my neighbors grew up in this neighborhood or in a nearby Fort Worth neighborhood. They have an abundance of friends and family. I suppose this is one of the downsides to my insistence upon living in town v. the 'burbs.

There are many people I see on an almost daily basis. They are really nice to me. We laugh, we chat. It is good. I think this kinda' makes us "friends" more than just "acquaintances." However, this has not, as of yet, in 3 years, developed into an invitation to lunch or to anything else. I think that they like me, they really do, but all the positions in their circle of friends are filled. They are not looking for applications, no matter how great my resume may be.

You guys have any suggestions? This is new territory for me. In military land, everyone was in the same boat. We all had friends scattered all over the globe and we all needed some girlfriends in our present location. I think we were always accepting applications and handing out resumes. I am unsure as to how to navigate the friend market here. Is there a temp agency I should contact? Like a Manpower for friends or something?

6 comments:

Mandy said...

ok, serioulsy, we are living PARALLEL lives - (with a few exceptions)

I have no ideas, b/c I am in the same boat in the same sort of town - and for me, its been sooo long since I had a REAL friend that I am afraid I have forgotten how to be a friend.

Manpower for friends - too freaking funny!!

Tess said...

LOTS of places in Texas seem like this; not just Fort Worth. Sigh.

Also, I looked for your email, but it doesn't look like you have one published here, so anyway, I wanted to say that I didn't think your comment today was bitchy or full of yourself or ANYTHING like that.

I'm just...crazy today. I TOLD you. And the thing is, as angry as I was, the guy is NOT an asshole. He's just not. He's a nice guy, he always was, and I know he meant his apology, just like you said. And since I liked him SO MUCH, it just...well, you know.

Anyway, I always, ALWAYS enjoy your comments.

Katie said...

I got that same impression here (Maryland) when we moved. I was used to a more friendly world (TEXAS) where people would actually say hello and start up a conversation instead of pretending they didn't see you while taking their groceries inside...

It is weird getting out of the military and trying to make friends. I have had the exact same experience. Having a toddler has helped a great deal, because any stay at home moms with toddlers seem to have lots to talk about...but they aren't really DEEP friendships...and other than that? I don't know how to make new friends! I tried joining a church, but everyone seems to already know everyone and there isn't really a non-awkward way to bust in and say "Will you be my friend?"

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Have you actually tried inviting one of them to lunch? Or am I trying to sell crazy to you?

MaryB said...

Annie - Have you forgotten me already? Do you have me confused with someone else? You know you CAN'T shut me up once I know ya, but am I EVER one to be the approacher? Def not! I think yuo should come on down here and fix me up!

To be honest, I do have one prospect. One who hasnt said that I dress "racy" and that I act slutty and get ballsy neighbors to send me creepy text messages.

SLynnRo said...

I have lived here three years and I have not made a single new girlfriend other than work people. luckily I have good college friends here. It is so hard, being an adult.