Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Food Is Love - Especially When It Is Chocolate.

It has been a rather sucky week thus far in internet land. Katie feels like crap and has had no sleep. Slynnro's yuppie world has been assaulted by crime yet again. Tessie revealed her shitty deal. Mandy is having a spell of self-doubt and general hand-wringing. And, then, there is the Queen of the Icebergs, who has more to deal with than can be asked of one human being (I'll link to her if I get her permission - she could really use as much good karma and as many warm thoughts as you could muster to send her way!)

If you have ever read about how this blog's title came to be, then you know I am, proudly, a southern girl. Well, in the south, we believe that anything can be fixed with food. Unfortunately I can't feasibly bake and deliver goodies to all of you. (Because I SO WOULD if I could!!) Instead, I'm just going to share my favorite easy chocolate pie recipe and you can all whip one up. We can have a virtual coffee-and-pie girlfriend pick-me-up date! This pie is not as rich and sinful as a French Silk (Rich's fav!), but it is a very rich and decadent result considering very minimal effort! I far prefer it in a blind-baked, traditional pie crust (Pillsbury roll n' bake will do!), but my kids prefer an Oreo or chocolate graham crust (which you can, of course, purchase pre-made at the store!).

Chocolicious Pie
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 3/4 - 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (do not use milk chocolate!)
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 2 generous tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 11/2 tsp vanilla
  • 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into a few pieces
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped with 1/4 cup sugar (OR, if in a hurry pick up a can of the Extra Creamy Reddi-Whip!)
  • Possible decorative and tasty toppings - finely chopped toffee bars, toasted and chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, use your imagination or use nothing at all - that's fine too!

Heat milk (NOT the condensed milk!) in a a medium-large saucepan until it just begins to bubble around the edges (DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL!) Remove from heat and whisk in chocolate chips until melted.

While that cools a bit, stir the condensed milk and vanilla into the beaten eggs. Stir together the cold water and cornstarch until it is not lumpy. Add cornstarch mixture to the egg mixture.

Add the egg mixture to the chocolate in the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat whisking constantly. Boil for about 1 minute. the filling will thicken and smooth out very quickly once you reach this point. remove from heat and stir in the chilled butter.

Spoon mixture into your crust of choice. Chill several hours. Top with your sweetened, whipped cream. Add toppings if you choose!

4 comments:

el-e-e said...

I can verify for all of you readers that this pie is sinfully delicious. And MB is a cooking goddess.

Thank you for sharing this, I had lost my copy!!!

Mandy said...

--yay, I have been wanting to get into more pie making lately for some reason !!

also, I totally agree with the way to fix to things in the south is with food!!!!!

Iceberg Queen said...

I believe I have this recipe someplace, yes? Or something similar? Yummy either way. And go ahead and link me. I haven't posted in a bit, but I will.

MaryB said...

IQ - (ha ha ha love that the initials are IQ!!) - nope, you have the chocolate lovers pie wchich is more fudge like, this one is more like a dense chocolate custard/cream pie....its SO yummy. My nieces require (politely request) me to make it at the beach every year... Are you still up north? Staying for a while??

Thinking of ya and love ya bunches!