Friday, August 22, 2008

Letting the Punishment Fit the Crime

If you know me IRL, then you know that this is often how I parent. I think the fancy-pants psychologists call it "natural-consequence parenting." I call it "better than screaming my bloody head off and wanting to strangle them parenting." I like to make a lasting impression on them so that they do not repeat whatever offensive behavior has occurred. ( I am afraid that, on occasion, the lasting impression created is that their mother is a psycho.)

For example, when the big two were little and they got into a squabble that escalated to the point where one hit, pinched, kicked the other then the punishment was that they had to sit and hold hands for 5 minutes. At the end of the five minutes, they could only get up if they could apologize to each other and tell me three good reasons they were glad that the other was their brother. (do I have this on video? You better believe it!) If you slam a door in this house, you are required to SLOWLY open and close it 10 times without making a bit of noise - If you make noise, you start back over at 1. If you cannot pick up your toys, then obviously you have too many to handle and we should give them to unfortunate children who do not have so many. Can't stop biting your nails in church? Well then, obviously you need a manicure! Which I will complete with pink nail polish that you will leave on for at least 24 hours as we run around town.

I've got more, but you get the idea. Yes?

Today was a "non-uniform" day at school. Jamie came out for breakfast looking presentable. However, I noticed that he had on no-show socks with his Vans. The school has some stupid rule about this for some unknown, stupid reason. Your socks have to show and they have to cover your ankle bone. ( I know! DUMB! but its the RULE!) I brought this to Jamie's attention. He informed me that I was wrong and that Amber (a girl in his class) told him that the rule had changed. I replied that I was unaware of this and that I would know as I am on the darn policy committee. He insisted that he was SURE about this new found sock freedom. He ate and left for school.

I went about my normal business. At around 10:30 am I went to pull my cell phone off the charger. I saw that I had a missed call/voicemail at 8:21am. Do I really need to tell you who it was from and what it said? Of course it was Jamie pleading for me to bring him socks so that he would not get an Out of Uniform violation....HA! AS IF! No way! You can take the violation, pal! I thought I was doing well to not cave and force him to suffer the consequences of his bad choices.

BUT I WAS OUTDONE AT MY OWN GAME!!!! I present you with the sight that greeted me when I picked him up at 3pm this afternoon...




Yes, yes, in case you can't see them clearly... Those are PINK knee socks!!!

The only problem here is that Jamie found it all quite hilarious, especially since two of his friends suffered the same fate. I think the three of them kind of enjoyed their "celebrity status" all day. Lets just hope that the lesson was still learned even if it wasn't exactly "the hard way."

11 comments:

SLynnRo said...

I got sent home more times than I can recall for dress code violations in high school. Which? NOT a deterrent.

Anonymous said...

SNORT!! That is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I love the hand-holding, manuicure, toy-giving, and door slamming stories. HAHAHAHA! You are awesome.

Mandy said...

ok, you are now my hero.

Brenda said...

I love your style!

Katie said...

How hilarious!! What clever punishments--you and the school!!

Julie said...

You are awesome! I'm going to have to write this stuff down because in the heat of the moment, sometimes I can't think logically.

Anonymous said...

I think this is where she got the idea. http://math.boisestate.edu/gas/mikado/webopera/mk206.html

Kristi said...

Those are some seriously great punishments!

When my sister and I used to fight as kids, my dad would make us hug for 5 minutes. It was awful!!!

What is up with having to cover your ankle bone? That is the most random dress code rule I have ever heard!!

Iceberg Queen said...

This is a riot. That actually is a very reasonable solution for the school because you know there are parents who just can't get there with socks if they wanted to.

I don't remember the hand holding, but I do remember the airplane chair. And the door rule is going into effect at our house. Excellent.

el-e-e said...

SO nice that your school is wise, like you!

These photos will go down in history. Also, you need to run out and get a quick pair of pink socks to stick in a gift bag for Thursday!! Or maybe several pairs! THINK of the rolling of eyes you would get when he opened that present!