Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Trader Tuedays - Per Mandy's Decree

Last week there was a funny Tuesday on which several of us all posted recipes or cooking/dinner ideas. It was a funny coincidence. Mandy, rightly, decided that we should declare future Tuesdays "Trading Recipe Tuesdays." I think it is a nice idea...It sucks when you get in a rut when feeding the family. I easily fall into dinner/kitchen ruts when the school year comes around and kicks my ass (which, BELIEVE ME, it is already doing!).

In recognition of Mandy's new found love of a yummy Heath Bar, I present Tiramisu Pie. It really is as "easy as pie!"

Tiramisu Pie

*Before starting, brew some strong, dark coffee, or make some espresso if you are a lucky duck with an espresso machine. Let the coffee or espresso cool somewhat. (Or, all the way, whatever!)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Strong brewed coffee, or espresso
Your choice - Kahlua, Starbucks liqueur, or my pick, Van Gogh Double Espresso Vodka
1 regular size frozen pound cake, thawed. (or make your own, but that would kind of suck the "easy" right of the recipe.)
8 oz marscapone cheese
1 1/2 cups cool whip
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup chocolate syrup (store bought or homemade- you pick!)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
bit of sugar (maybe 2 Tbsp or so)
2 Heath or Skor bars (freeze them and then beat the heck out of them(I use a rolling pin or meat mallet) to crumble.)


Assemble:

1. Cut pound cake into slices about 3/4 inch wide. (eyeball it - you should end up with about 12-14 slices). Then, cut slices into halves, diagonally. Arrange these triangle slices to line the bottom, and up the sides of a deep dish pie plate.

2. Stir together the cooled coffee and the liqueur of your choice. Drizzle this all over the pound cake liner of the pie plate.

3. Beat marscapone, sugar, and chocolate syrup together with electric mixer. When blended, add in cool whip and beat until well combined. Pour this into the cake-lined pie plate. Chill for at least 2 hours.

4. Whip whipping cream with a small amount of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Evenly dollop over the pie. Top with a dusting of cocoa powder and crushed toffee bars.

8 comments:

Mandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandy said...

AND it has marscapone????

also, what constitutes a deep dish pie plate.. I think the ones I have are "regular" ... I have seen a lot of recipes lately that call for that sort of dish .. perhaps I need to invest in one ...

Mandy said...

fyi-it posted twice ... hence the deletion;)

MaryB said...

You love marscapone??? Have you ever eaten it by dipping pretzels in it?? Sounds weird, but is BEST snack EVAH!!! (little pricey though!)

Mandy said...

yes!!! I just discovered it about 2 years ago when I made a Giada recipe ... perhaps that will be my next weeks recipe now!!!!!

..also I was SHOCKED that our grocery store even had it!!!!!!

Julie said...

This sounds really yummy!

Anonymous said...

GASP!!! That sounds HEAVENLY!! I'm bookmarking this for future baking inspiration. I adore tiramisu and I love pie crust, so how could it NOT be amazing??

Annie's Mom said...

This does sound FANTASTIC!