Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend Re-cap and a Weighty Question

**First of all - Sorry for publishing unfinished post! I'd still swear that I hit save, not publish!**

Weekend was pretty darn good. Parent-Teacher conferences on Friday went smoothly. My children are brilliant and well behaved, but one of them is terribly unorganized. No shock there. Tell me something I don't know! Later in the evening, Rich and I did some furniture shopping and then stopped for a drink or two. I should have not had the "two." Bad, Bad, Bad idea. I don't know if the bartender slipped something in my drink or what, but lets just say Friday night will go down in the history books as one of my very worst nights ever. At some point I decided the cooler night air felt better so I went to sit outside for a bit only to have Rich come to find me an hour later saying, " I really think sleeping on the front porch is not a classy option." Thus, I have concluded my yearly refresher session of "Why MaryB never has more than one drink." I am a lightweight. I take Children's Claritin, Tylenol, and Motrin for Pete's sake! The silver lining to this Friday night cloud is that my net calorie consumption was definitely a big, fat zero.

Jamie had a tennis tournament on Saturday, but did not have to play his first match until 11am! Meaning, of course, that we got to sleep in! I LOVE waking up without some obnoxious beeping or buzzing jarring me awake. I am also getting spoiled by the fact that Rich is finally senior enough to hold lines with weekends at home. **knocking on wood** So, waking up with a husband to no alarm clock = bliss! The weather was lovely so long as you were in the shade and there was plenty of shade because the match was at TCU where trees line all of the courts. I packed up a cooler of drinks and snacks, my folding chairs, and a big blanket. It was really nice. Jamie was nervous as this was his first time to play in the boys 14 bracket, but was so happy to be doing it on his home turf and his coaches in charge of the tournament. He made it to the semis despite the fact that some of the boys looked like grown men. Meanwhile, Connor had his second session of First Tee. Guys, if you have children, I can not stress enough how wonderful this first Tee program is!!! Look into it, really! I think of it as junior cotillion taught through the medium of golf. Especially if you have a shy child or a child who lacks self-confidence, or if you just want a child with a winning attitude - this program is great!!! AND it is cheap!!!! Unfortunately, I have no pictures to share because I turned on the camera to take some pictures only to discover that my memory card was full.

Sunday was a day of exercising, furniture shopping, and general housekeeping. The weekly event of the Sunday night uniform laundry was made much more exciting by the start of new seasons for Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters. Oh, my love, lust, and obsession with Rob Lowe knows no bounds. I'll be his nanny any day! I love him any way I can get him, but his character on this show makes my knees even weaker than usual. His voice unnerves me.

As I climbed into bed, I grabbed two more letters from "the box." I am more than half-way through reading all of the letters ( I told you there were A LOT!). I usually grab two letters from the box as I climb into bed. I grab randomly and out of order so I never know what I'm going to get. I suppose that I should have ordered them by date and then read them like a story. Oh well.

Here is what I find strange. He was so effusive in his declarations of love and devotion back then. What happened to that? Yes, yes, I know that kind of drunk-love loses out to everyday life and normalcy at some point. But really? The person who wrote those letters and the man I live with are NOT the same person. So, being the idiot that I am, I asked him about it. His reply? That he loves me more now than then. Huh? Really?

So, I have been mulling this over and here are my thoughts that are actually questions for you all... After 13 years does the phrase, "i love you" lose some of is lustre? Have you heard it so much that you cant really accept it for the true depth of its meaning anymore? Does he think the same thing about me, that I do not have the same passion and love for "us" and him as I did back then? Because, really NOTHING could be FURTHER from the truth. I always just assumed that he was VERY clear on the fact that he makes me crazy, drunk-in-love with him. I think that I go out of my way to make it clear. The only difference between back then and now is that there have been times in the past 13 years that I could have killed him with my bare hands. (e.g. here!) In the end, it all makes me love him and us more. How do you all find new ways of letting your man know you love him? And he for you? AND, remember my MOM reads this blog so if you know her and don't want to blush next time you see her, you might want to edit or email me your comments... If you don't know her in real life, then what do you care? Comment away! And, really, I don't think much shocks her anyway. Seriously, she has ME for a daughter.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I was going to comment how great your kids are and how JEALOUS I am that you get weekends with your husband and make fun of you for being a lightweight and falling asleep on the front porch in true southern belle form BUT .... I LOVE Brothers and Sisters and it turned me on just a bit to see Rob Lowe be such a great husband to Ally McBeal!!!!

Julie said...

Ditto what Mandy said. As a teenager, I had a poster of Rob Lowe as Ponyboy from the Outsiders that I would gaze at every night as I fell asleep!

Sid and I text each other several times a day, even when he's not in Missouri. Most of the time, it's a line from a movie/TV show or comedian that we've watched and enjoyed together. When I get a message from him, I know he's thinking about me and I get all silly feeling. Sometimes I leave a brief "I love you" note in a pocket of his jeans that he may not stumble over for a few days depending on when he wears that particular pair. I've gotten in the car before and found a sticky note that told me what song to play on the cd in the player or a pack of my favorite gum. Mostly when he's home, it's just a brush of the back of his neck or a nuzzle at the ear as I walk by or a slap on the boohiney as he walks by that keeps us connected. Sid is bad (good?) about what I call the "drive-by fondle" while I'm folding clothes or cooking dinner or just walking by him.

Now my thoughts are back on Rob Lowe...yummy. :)

Mandy said...

ok, so I read the unfinished version and have now just read the added info!!

its such a weird issue ... for me eric and I started dating/fell in love in high school when we were 17 ... and we've had A LOT of "off and on" and a lot of hurt feelings and I am jealous of your box of letters b/c my box would also have the BAD times in it and to this day I get upset about something that happened in 1993 ... so I do know that our love has changed a lot since the beginning, since the mushy letters and all the rest and now I am realizing that I am not really answering your question .. infact I have forgotten what the question actually was ..

in any case, for me, I do think the "I love you" looses something .. I dont what but SOMETHING .. I do like to hear it randomly or when I dont "hear" it or see it in a "look" or a hand squeeze in the car ... but really, when I think about it, I am to blame too...its as if I have taken for granted that we are here, married, happy and have shared future goals .. but seriously, I would love to get back to that butterfly in the stomach feeling before I see him next and maybe get a real handwritten love letter again

Kristi said...

I love Brothers and Sisters!

I am so jealous you have a box of letters. I don't think I've ever gotten a letter from my long distance boy! I got a card once. Damn the world of text messaging and quick emails. I think I'm going to have to start a letter writing initiative so I can have a box in 13 years.

Anything is Possible said...

MB- I can't even remember the whole point of this blog. I just read the 'here' part about the chicken. OMG!!! I'm still giggling. I have been that angry before also. I have gone damn crazy on Jas a time or two. Why don't they know when to stop? I've also found my inner zen and have been known to be scarier when I'm not stark raving mad. Apparently it's scarier when my mind isn't buzzing and I can think clear enough to send out some zingers that make Jas rethink whatever it is he's spouting about. Now that was one heck of a run on.

Does 'I love you' lose something over time? I don't think it does in our relationship. I think once you've been married for a while you don't feel the need to shout out about how much you love your partner. These days I appreciate him taking the kids for a night just so I can relax in the tub. I don't even need a glass of wine, just a hot bath. That gesture just screams I LOVE YOU! It also screams YOU NEED TIME TO GET OUT OF CRAZY CHICK MODE.

el-e-e said...

These are very interesting questions and I'm enjoying the comments. I'll tell you what my husband does that gets me every time - makes me laugh. I know that sounds cliche but really, he knows just what to say and has good timing, and it makes me remember why I fell in love in the first place, every time.

Once I was playing on his computer, and logged into his iTunes to make him a playlist. Next time he sync'ed up, it was a surprise. But other than that one great idea, I am bad about falling into routine and not thinking of "new" ways to show him how I feel. (The man doesn't eat desserts, what am I to DO??) We never go to sleep without a kiss goodnight, though, and I think cuddling up together, even for a few minutes, is our way of reconnecting every day.

Katie said...

I have recorded Brothers and Sisters but haven't watched it yet! I need to get on the ball!

I do kind of think "I love you" loses something over years. We say it so often (every time we hang up the phone, every time he leaves for work, etc)....it definitely doesn't bring on the initial tingle that it once did. But I don't really see how you could avoid that....

I think getting away from the children is the only thing that really brings it back for me! It is going to be a while until we're at that point again!