Tuesday, March 11, 2008

How To Embarrass Your Husband At Work 101

Rich's last leg this past Saturday was from Dallas to Lubbock and then his first leg on Sunday (late in the afternoon) was back to Dallas from Lubbock. Connor already had plans to spend the night at a friend's, so I coerced my baby brother to let my other two spend the night with him at his bachelor pad. A night in a hotel seeing what Rich's on-the-road life is really like...fun!

I was just about the last one to board the plane (the joys of flying stand-by) and Rich was already in the cockpit doing whatever it is he does, but the captain was still in the jet-way saying hello to passengers. As I walked by he said, "you gonna say hi to loverboy before you head to the back?" I did not realize that neither the passengers in the first row nor the two nearby flight attendants were privy to this exchange. So, imagine their surprised faces when I looked into the cockpit and said, "hel--lo lovah-boy!" When I saw their faces and realized that they were shocked, I looked right at them and said, "Damn! These pilots are HOT!" and walked back to my seat.

One nice thing about Texas is that even if many of the men are chauvinistic pigs, at least chivalry isn't dead. I sat patiently in my seat on the plane knowing that I would be waiting for Rich and the rest of the crew to finish up their duties before I rode the van to the hotel with them. One nice man in a cowboy hat noticed me sitting and thought that I was there because no one would let me out. He stopped and offered to let me go in front of him. I politely replied that, "That's okay. I'm going to hang out for a minute and see if I can get a hot date with one of the pilots." I wish you could have seen his face. He could not hide his disdain or disbelief. Even funnier when he saw me walking out of the airport with the crew. I hope he figured it out. Or not - whatever.

Interesting side note: On the way home, a lovely lady told me that my tags were sticking out of my sweater (embarrassing!). We had the typical airplane conversation of "coming or going? where's home? blah blah blah." BUT, the interesting part was this: She is a NATIVE TEXAN who has relocated to Florida. I said, "you must miss Texas being a native and all." She says, " Oh, honey, if you'd sell me the whole state for a nickel, I wouldn't take it."

A Native Texan who thinks Texas is crazy????? How lovely and refreshing! It was a lovely contrast to the lady who asked me if I was born in Texas and upon my reply of "no," replied that, "well, I'm sure you got here as fast as you could."

10 comments:

Tess said...

Oh, RETCH. I hate that "got here as fast as you could" thing.

Personally, I think Florida sounds horrifying too. At least it's CHEAP to live in Texas.

Tracy said...

Oh my! I really need to put that scenario in the back of my head. I think it is so funny. I am guessing the flight attendants at least figured out that you were his wife right? THat seriously made my day! thanks for the laugh!

MaryB said...

Tracy - yes, the FAs definitely figured out who I was. They evenhung out with us in the hotel lobby/bar before they went out for the night. But, the guy getting off the plane was the one who just killed me - he had no idea who i was an totally thought i was some trampy girl trying to hook up with a pilot! It was funny!

Tessie - florida is not so bad At least when the sun goes down there, the temperature goes down! that is what KILLED me whn I moved here - that is doesn't cool off even at night...OMG summer is coming, must start making plans to leave now!

SLynnRo said...

DUDE. Texas is infinitely better than effing Florida. COME ON!

Texas is awesome and you people all know it. I'm looking at you too, TESSIE.

Mandy said...

I am jealous that you got ride in a plane that your husband was flying .. I have never had that opportunity yet and he has been an airline pilot since 2001.

I personally LOVE Texas, lived there back in the early 80's (dallas) and now my parents are in houston.. we go house hunting everytime we visit ... I would move there in a second!!!

Tess said...

Bonus Dunkin Donuts comment!

I don't know of any in your neck of the woods, but there are a couple in Plano and Dallas.

I went to the one at Coit and Park in Plano, and there's one opening at Preston and Alpha in North Dallas (near Valley View mall).

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I love that you are embarassing Rich in the workplace. I'm so proud. And I can only imagine that Miss Susan would be cheering you on as well.

MaryB said...

Annie - As a matter of fact, I refer to it as "pulling a susan!"

Paige said...

Oh. My. God. You crack me up. I just laughed out loud (a coupla times) and then re-read it so I could laugh again.

HUSSY!

Seriously. That was awesome.

Katie said...

You are my hero! I would have WANTED to say those things to the guy on the plane, but would have been too chicken!