Monday, September 22, 2008

Superficial and Random

I WANT long hair!!!!!! I do NOT WANT to pay like, $2K for extensions. So, who has ideas? Any of you take any special vitamins while trying to grow your hair out? Special shampoos and/or treatments? How did you survive the supremely annoying and miserable growing out process?

This will probably be the biggest failure of a project in the history of hair projects. My thin, fine half-curly, half-straight hair probably has no business being long.

It is now appropriate to wear black to weddings, no? I need to know. I have a wedding to attend very soon and am planning on wearing my favorite dress again. (and if I don't wear that one, then I want this one or this one!) There is that small southern voice in me, though, saying "you can't wear black to a wedding, MaryB." Opinions, please. Black - okay or not okay. Dresses - which one? Wear the old one and get some really hot shoes or get a new one?

If I do wear that dress...do I wear black shoes? Is that too boring? What if I take a BRIGHT fuchsia satin clutch? (it is so very cute) Then what? I need accessory help.

10 comments:

Tracy said...

I recently wore a black dress to a wedding and wasn't the only one. I think you should splurge on new really cute shoes to match the clutch. Of course, I guess you should take what I say about style with a grain of salt. I am excited about a scoop neck cotton shirt instead of my normal v neck cotton shirt. Not so stylish anymore.

Oh and hair? I cut mine off about 8 months ago and am in the same boat as you. I want it long again, but HATE HATE HATE the grow out process. And then when it is long, I just leave it in a ponytail, but oh well, I am doing it! (maybe, unless, I decide to cut it off again on a whim.!)

Kristi said...

It's totally ok to wear black to a wedding. I've been to about 147 weddings in the last year, and there is always a lot of black.

Wear the favorite dress! It's super cute. I agree with Tracy. You should get fabulous shoes to match the clutch!

What is it about fall coming that makes long hair a must? I've been thinking about growing mine out too!

Brenda said...

Any of those dresses are wedding worthy. Get a shawl to go with the clutch and shoes.

And the hair thingy....I think it's a genetic thing. But then, I don't know my genetics. But, anyway, mine grows quickly. It only took 3 years to get 14 inches and then I cut it off! I hate that growing out stage. Can't curl it and contain it. Good Luck. I have nothing.

SLynnRo said...

I buy a new dress for basically everything, so ya know, buy a new dress.

And my hair is super speedy, but according to my eyebrow lady, these vitamins you get at Whole Foods called Green Alive or something like that make hair grow. She tells her overpluckers to use them.

Anonymous said...

Black is totally okay for a wedding, but like SlynnRo, I'll take any opportunity to buy a new dress ;)

Good luck with the hair growing out!!

MaryB said...

Slynnro - dumb question - if they are already over-plucking WHY are they waxing too? Do they want their eyebrows to just NEVER grow back??? Somebody should tie their hands down. Ive heard that plucking can be like a nervous habit/compulsion...guess I should not be so judgey. Im just a little obsessed with hair removal.

Ill be looking into that vitamin thingy though.

Julie said...

Try prenatal vitamins to help your hair grow. And getting it trimmed at regular intervals will help it grow, too.

Wear the black dress...I like the idea of a shawl with it.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Black is fine for a wedding. I'd get fun shoes that coordinate but don't match the fuschia clutch.

As far as hair goes, I don't knwo how much help I am. When mine got inadvertently chopped off, I had to wait it out like everyone else. Invest in a variety of things to put it up and pull it back while you wait. And maybe learn to love braids. The curl you have might relax when it is long. It's a wait and see.

Julie said...

Ooohhhh...I LIKE the green and black background! Pretty! :)

lex said...

a black dress is totally ok, and i love your favorite. very chic. use this as an excuse to get yourself some really hot shoes, and not necessarily in black.

can't give you any advice on the hair situation. i tried to grow mine out, got it long enough to put in a ponytail, and got so sick of it, i chopped it all off again.